Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Gays, Sleeping Beauty & Babylon 5

First of all congratulations to "the gays" in Hawaii. They have become the 16th state to legalize gay marriage... equality for all. Ever since the US Supreme Court decision on Prop 8 here in California it seems more and more states are granting marriage equality. I know the fight is far from over I mean we can legal marry in only 16 of the 50 states but it's progress. Who know how many more states will join in marriage equality in 2014.

Okay now for some geeky stuff.. saw the first trailer for Maleficent staring Angelina Jolie. I've been looking forward to this since the first photo was released and I have to say that he trailer looks amazing. This will defiantly be a must see when it hits theaters next year. Check out the trailer below.


Today is Wednesday and it's TV night with my buddy Robert. We missed last weeks because I had so much work around the house and though I still have a lot of work I can't go two weeks without hanging with my bestie and enjoying some Babylon 5. Today we watched season 3 episodes 3,4 & 5.

First up was S3 Ep3 "A Day in the Strife" Sheridan and Ivanova deal with a dispute with the worker's guild. Then a probe arrives, and gives the station a test. If they pass, it promises to share advanced technology, if they fail the station will be destroyed in a few hours. Garibaldi talks to Franklin about his stim use-age. G'Kar struggles to retain leadership of the Narn community aboard Babylon 5

Lots of good stuff in this episode. Some comedy with Sheridan and Ivanova and the workers guild. I knew all along that something wasn't right with that probe. Whenever it's too good to be true.. it is. I knew the doctor was heading down a dark road. It was nice to see Garibaldi care so much for his colleague. But my favorite part was G'Kar's story. He is such a great character and a great leader that he was willing to leave (and die) Babylon 5 to save the families of those Narn on Babylon 5. And I also liked that Sheridan did not turn him over to that Narn/Centeri liaison. It was great seeing that all of G'Kar's followers stopped him from leaving and convinced him to stay and continue to lead the rebellion even though their families will be at risk.

I'm having such a hard time finding sympathy for Londo. When Londo was talking to Delenn about Vir and then he says that he missing the time they spent together. I kept telling myself.. Dude you're the reason everyone is shunning you. And then he goes and gets Vir transferred to Mirbar. He did it because Vir was his conscious. He reminded Londo of what kind of man he was before he turned to the dark side. I'm afraid to see where Londo is going to go next without Vir by his side.

I think this characters (Londo) turn of events effected me the most as I so liked him in the beginning and really disliked G'Kar.. but now I can't imagine disliking G'Kar, he's become one of my favorite characters and I feel betrayed by the character of Londo, he's become a character that I just despise.

Next up was S3 Ep4 "Passing Through Gethsemane" Kosh's ship arrives at the station bearing a surprise visitor, Lyta Alexander returns after visiting the Vorlon home world. Brother Edward, a monk with Brother Theo visits with Delenn to discuss religion. Soon he begins to hear voices. They discover that Edward is experiencing repressed memories, someone is forcing him to relive past moments.


I was happy to see Lyta back, I really enjoyed her character and she is now working for Kosh. Not sure what was happening at the end of the episode when the light was coming from her eyes and mouth into the Kosh suit.. I told Robert that it looks like Kosh is using Lyta's body to interact with the crew.. guess will find out. Also I like that Lyta is a kickass telepath and is not bound by the PSI Corp rules.

I found the Monk storyline very interesting, it was a intense episode. Robert would pause the show every few minutes and we would go into these long conversations about what is happening and what we would do. That's one thing I love about Babylon 5, it really does get you thinking about.. everything... politics, religion, war... it's pretty amazing.

And the final episode of the night S3 Ep5 "Voices of Authority" Sheridan has an interesting time dealing with the new Political Officer stationed by EarthGov and Ivonova visits the planet below Babylon 5 in search of the "first ones". G'Kar questions Delenn about the war council and the Rangers.

Another enjoyable episode. Hate the new political officer and I'm so glad Sheridan didn't sleep with her. Loved Ivonova in this episode. I loved that she took a big gamble and won. And I felt so bad for G'Kar as he's onto them, he knows what's going on with the Shadow. My heart broke when he had his one on one talk with Garibaldi, I know Garibaldi felt bad and I thought he was going to trust him and tell him but he didn't. I hope they bring G'Kar in the loop soon.

We started this TV night later then usual and with all the conversations we were only able to watch three episodes but they were three fantastic episodes. Can't wait for me.

1 comment:

  1. It's such a great show. Just remember, the 5th season starts out a little rocky because they didn't have very much money, but the saved what they could and used it to fund the second half of the last season, which is great.

    ReplyDelete