Saturday, April 26, 2014

Loss of a Friend

I found out today that one of my friend passed away, Craig Sakacs.

Craig and I met over 18 years ago. I was volunteering at APLA (Aids Project Los Angeles) and I was assigned to be his "buddy". There is a program that clients can sign up for to get a volunteer to come over to their house to keep them company or take them out shopping and such. I was assigned to help Craig. Craig was one of the lucky ones as he was very mobile and able to get out of the house on his own. After a year in to the "buddy" program he pulled out as he really didn't need it. But we built a friendship so we continued our friendship. Over the years we'd hang out from time to time and our friendship continued to grow. Last November I got a call from Craig saying that he thinks he will be dying soon. For the past five years or so at Christmas time he'd get really sick and near death but he's always pulled through but this time he said it was different. He wanted to get together one last time. So mid December I went over to his place and I could tell he was in bad shape. He could barely move but he wanted to get out of the house so we went to Denny's and had some lunch. When I dropped him off I gave him a big hug as I had a feeling this was going to be the last time we saw each other. He told me that he loved me and that I have been a good friend over the years. I said the same to him. I got in my car and drove away as he waved goodbye.

Well he survived December and was on the upswing. It looked like he was getting better and we talked on the phone and he said that if he was well enough he wanted to do Universal Studio with me in January. I was all up for that but he never felt well enough for the trip. I texted him in February and asked if we could get together for lunch and never heard back from him. Something in my gut told me that things were not going well. I then went on my trip to Ireland and England. When I got home I texted him but again nothing. Today I got a call from his father informing me that he passed away on March 26th (while I was in England) but he just now found my phone number.  His funeral had already passed but his father wanted to send me his memorial card. I plan to visit his gravesite soon for one final goodbye.

Craig was a good man who lived 25 years with this horrible disease. He been there for me for over 18 years and will be missed dearly.. I'm sad that he is gone but happy that he's no longer in pain.. Rest in peace my friend.. rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment