Sunday, April 27, 2014

TV & Movies

Still trying to get over my exhaustion from my 34 day dream vacation. Today I didn't do much. I watched the last six episodes of Amazing Race and then moved on to some gay-themed movies.

First up was G.B.F. Here's a quick synopsis; Social warfare breaks out in a suburban high school when the three clique queens who rule the school compete for this year's must-have teen girl accessory - the G.B.F. (or Gay Best Friend). G.B.F. tells the story of two closeted best friends, Tanner and Brent. Brent longs for the spotlight and has a plan that will make him the most popular kid in school. He believes that coming out will make him instantly popular, as the newest must-have teen girl “accessory”: The G.B.F. Tanner on the other hand, would rather fly under the radar and graduate from high school without ever being noticed. Things don't go as planned and Tanner is outed and becomes the target on the 3 clique queens.

I really enjoyed this movie. Of course it was over the top and the characters made stupid decision but over all it was a fun comedy. The main actor who played Tanner was extremely cute and geeky which is always a plus. I liked all the "queens" of the school, each one was very different. This movie has Evanna Lynch as the hard core Morman girl against all things gay. It a far different role from Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series. Also Megan Mullally from Will and Grace played Brent's understanding mother.. she was extremely funny. Over all it was an enjoyable film. I wouldn't buy it on bluray but I'd watch it again. I give G.B.F. a solid B

Next I watched Geography Club, which is based off a book series. Here's a quick synopsis; Sixteen-year-old Russell is still going on dates with girls while having a secret relationship with football quarterback Kevin, who will do anything to prevent his football teammates from finding out. Min and Terese tell everyone that they're just really good friends. And then there's Ike, who can't figure out who he is or who he wants to be. Finding the truth too hard to hide, they all decide to form the Geography Club, thinking nobody else in their right mind would ever want to join. However, their secrets may soon be discovered and they could have to face the choice of revealing who they really are.

I loved this movie, the main character was very charming and easily relatable but I really connected with one of the side characters, Brian. Brian was the quiet kid, everyone picked on him and he was scared of his own shadow. There is moment in this film when he goes to join the Geography club (which is really a Gay & Lesbian Club), and they realize he is there. He give this very heartfelt speech that chilled me to the bone about just wanting to find friends and how scared he is all the time. He's doesn't want to go home because he's beaten by his father and when he's not playing the Cello he gets frigidity (which his is made fun of for doing). Something about this character just resonated with me. I must have watched the scene over and over about six or seven times. I like that not everything ends on a happy note.. just like real life.

Over all this was a very entertaining and at times hard to watch movie. But as soon as I finished watching it I added it to my Amazon list of Blu-rays to buy. I give Geography Club a huge big A

No comments:

Post a Comment