Thursday, May 15, 2014

Flash, Twin Peaks & Some Movies

Two pieces of geeky news that I wanted to share with you guys.. first is the extended trailer for the new CW series The Flash. I've always been a huge fan of the The Flash so I was excited to hear that they were going to make a series about him. Well I have to say that after watching this trailer I am even more excited. This looks amazing and I can't wait for it to start this fall. 


The second geeky piece I wanted to share with you all is the announcement that Twin Peaks is coming to blu-ray. I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan.. I watched it originally when it first aired on ABC and owned it on VHS and DVD, but this new Blu-ray set sounds amazing with so much bonus material.

On stunning High Definition Blu-ray, Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery is a comprehensive collection with every episode from the complete television series; both the U.S. and international versions of the series’ Pilot; the North American Blu-ray debut of David Lynch’s follow-up feature Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me; and nearly 90 minutes of deleted and extended scenes from the film. The set also features newly transferred Log Lady introductions for each episode; picture upgrades to many shots in the TV series; a new featurette with series creator Lynch and the actors who portrayed the Palmer family which includes a mesmerizing return to the lives of their characters today; and hours of never-before-released material that dives into the fascinating story behind the celebrated pop culture classic.

It comes out on July 29th.. this is defiantly going on my list of things to buy when I get a job. 

I watched two more "gay" themed movies. First one was "Petunia" An off beat family of New Yorkers must come to terms with their own misgivings about life, relationships and the sheer unpredictability of love itself. Petunia weaves together the lives of brothers Charlie, Adrian and Michael as they unlearn everything their psychoanalyst parents have taught them. While Michael's cynical wife Vivian discovers she is pregnant, the family is also changing. Charlie's would be boyfriend George is in a polyamorous relationship with fitness fanatic Robin and Adrian has developed a unrelenting sex addiction. Meddling parents Felicia and Percy must decide whether to reignite the spark in their relationship or start all over again. Petunia is a film about a dysfunctional family unit on the verge of a nervous breakdown. This is the story of how they pick up the pieces. 

I wouldn't say this was a "gay" themed movie per se. I mean it does have several gay characters but it's more about a very dysfunctional family. It had some amazing moments of human relationships, very true and honest but then there were some that were so over the top to the point of being ridiculous. There were a few inconsistency in the storyline but only one that I felt pulled me out of the film. The acting was good and I did enjoy the 'gay' character though he was a bit to quirky, even for me. Over all a decent film, not what I was expecting but still enjoyable. I don't need to see it again or buy it on blu-ray. I'd give Petunia a C+

And the second movie was called "Were the World Mine" Timothy is an openly gay student at a private boy's school. Although now in his senior year, he is still persecuted by the aggressive rugby team, on whose captain, Jonathon, he has a crush. Timothy lives with his mother, Donna, who is struggling with her son's sexuality and with getting a job, and his father who is not a part of his life.

Timothy is cast as Puck in the senior production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. While reviewing his lines, he discovers the recipe for creating the flower love-in-idleness. Timothy uses the flower to have the homophobic town take a "walk in his shoes". The entire town is thrown into chaos as previously heterosexual community members fall in love with their same-sex friends, bosses, and co-workers: whomever they first saw after being sprayed by the flower. The school drama teacher, Ms. Tebbit, guides Timothy towards the question of whether his actions have caused more harm than good.

I've passed by this movie many times as I didn't like the idea of someone turning someone "gay". But I have watched quite a few of the gay themed movies on netflix and am running out of new stuff so I gave it a shot. I have to say it wasn't anything like I expected. It was more fantastical then reality based.. It's kind of like a gay version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's also a musical with some very cool "dream/musical" sequences. I liked the acting and the story was entertaining for the most part. I do think they went a little over board at turning the town gay and the way they resolved it was just okay.

I would watch this again just for the musical aspect of it as those were defiantly some of my favorite parts. I'm glad I watched it and would consider buying it on blu-ray. I give "Were the World Mine" a solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment