Monday, May 12, 2014

Wil Wheaton Project & PSA

Today my friend Jes and I went to a test recording/filming of Wil Wheatons new Syfy show The Wil Wheaton Project. We got there around 3:30pm (suppose to be there no later then 4:30) We were audience members 10 and 11. By 4:30 there were about 35 or so people in line. Come to find out that the audience is fairly small and only can hold 25 people. Three of those spaces were reserved for Wil's family so only 22 of us audience members got in. Luckily we made the cut but I felt bad for all those who didn't. We were suppose to start loading in at 4:30 but there was delays and we didn't get into the studio until around 6pm.

We were fortunate that we were in the NBC/Universal lobby area while we waited and not outside in the heat.

When we walked into the studio it was smaller then I expected. As I mentioned the audience area only had 25 chairs, there were cameras and crew around, including my favorite wardrobe person Kristen (who I have worked with on The Guild & My Gimpy Life). The stage consisted of a "green" screen and there were several TV's, one for Wil to reference and one for the audience to watch.

Prodcuer Josh came out to entertain the audience, he thanked us for waiting so long and did some Wil trivia and gave away a few gifts. Wil came out shortly after and talked to the crowd and explained what we were about to see.

I can't go into great detail about the show but it took about three hours to record everything, along with some promo's. This episode will never see the light of day... it's a test episode for the network to see everything put together with an audience. It's a bummer that it won't air on TV but also kind of cool that just a few of us actually get to see this "special" episode.

By now it's just after 9pm, it was a long day but totally worth it. After the show as the audience was leaving Wil stood at the stage door and high fived everyone (such a great guy). When it was my turn to high five him, we did and then his smile widen and he said.. "Hey Kenny I didn't know you were here." I said "Yep...Great show" and walked out. I would have liked to chat more but there were people behind me waiting for their high five.

I don't know why it always surprises me when Wil remembers me, though it has been a few years since we have seen each other, I did work with him on The Guild for several seasons, interviewed him several times for Knights of the Guild podcast and email him from time to time. He also did this "special" PSA for The Guild Season Four DVD easter egg a few years back.


It was a great time and I hope to get tickets for future shows. Be sure to watch The Wil Wheaton Project on Syfy started Tuesday May 27th at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment