Monday, September 22, 2014

Outlander S1Ep7, Downton Abbey S5Ep1 & Gotham Premiere

I know they are fictitious characters but I can't help but wish a very Happy Birthday to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. I was always  bummed that their birthdays were only just one day away from mine. I think it would be awesome to share a birthday with two of my favorite characters from Middle Earth.

Speaking of birthdays this is my second to last "pic a day" until my 44th birthday. This is day 43 so here I am from last year at age 43. I really like this picture of me. I attempted to cut my hair (well shave it) and I had the wrong guard on the clippers and managed to cut it shorter then it's ever been but it was a happy mistake and I think I looked pretty good almost bald. One more day and this picture project will be over.

Today I watched the seventh episode of Outlander, titled "The Wedding" Marriage to a Scot seems to be the only legal wayout to save Claire from falling into the paws of Black Jack Randall. And Jamie accepts to become her husband and protect her. Claire is overwhelmed by circumstances that are forcing her into becoming an adulteress and a bigamist. The hasty marriage takes place and, in order to be legal, it must be consummated that night.

Claire's Wedding Dress
This was an interesting episode as the first half was told through flashbacks. It starts off with Jamie and Claire up in their room to consummate there marriage and then jumps back to the process of the quick wedding and how it came to be.

I loved the interaction between Jamie and Claire, the sex scenes were nicely done and not gratuitous. This was pretty much like the previous episode where you had two actors talking back and forth but like with last weeks episode this one worked just as well. And I have to say Claire's wedding dress was GORGEOUS!!!

Next week will be the mid season finale and then we have to wait until April of 2015 for the other half of season one... UGH!!

Downton Abbey season five has started and I watched episode one. Here's a brief synopsis: The general Election of 1924 brings a Labour government into power, to the consternation of Robert and Carson, though many of the staff are pleased to have a prime minister from the working class. A village delegation, building a war memorial to local dead, requests Carson, not Robert, to head its committee and the class-bound butler feels awkward, ensuring the earl is made a patron. Tim Drewe tells Lady Edith he knows that Marigold, the daughter he and his wife have adopted, is her child whilst Lady Mary receives another proposal from Tony Gillingham. Violet organizes a lunch party to match Isobel with Lord Merton though Isobel resists and at Robert and Cora's anniversary supports Sarah Bunting and Tom's that the war was futile. Robert immediately takes a dislike to Sarah. Barrow continues to pressurize Baxter to disclose damning information on John Bates but, encouraged by the adoring Molesley, she tells Cora her secret, that she was imprisoned for theft from an employer, so the plan backfires on Barrow. However he becomes a hero for rescuing the unhappy Edith, who has accidentally started a fire in her bedroom. Subsequent evacuation leads to the discovery of young footman Jimmy, nude in bed with his former employer, saucy guest Lady Anstruther, prompting Robert to call for the boy's dismissal.

Woohoo... it's back. I've been waiting all year for more Downton and they didn't disappoint. Just an FYI it won't air here in the US until early January but I'm watching the original British broadcast. All of my favorites are back and just a bit older. Highlights in this episode for me would be us finally finding out about Ms Baxter secret and what Thomas has over her. It was looking bleak for Thomas but of course they have to keep him around so he saves the day by saving Edith from a fire. Man I hate that guy. Edith's story is heartbreaking and I'm interested in seeing what they come up with to explain why she is seeing "her daughter" on a regular bases. Poor Mr. Molesley, this guy can't catch a break. I really do hope that he and Baxter get together and something good happens to him for once. I'm really looking forward to this season and I can't wait to see what's in store for all the residents of Downton Abbey.

I watched the premiere of Big Bang Theory (both episodes) and I'm still loving it but what I wanted to give a quick review on is the new DC series Gotham on Fox. Here's a synopsis of this new series. A new recruit in Gotham City Police Department, Detective James Gordon is paired with Harvey Bullock to solve one of Gotham's highest-profile cases: the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. During his investigation, Gordon meets the Waynes' son Bruce, now in the care of his butler Alfred Pennyworth, which further compels Gordon to catch the mysterious killer. Along the way, Gordon must confront gang boss Fish Mooney, businessman Carmine Falcone, as well as many of Gotham's future villains such as Selina Kyle, Edward Nygma, and Oswald Cobblepot. Eventually, Gordon is forced to form an unlikely friendship with Wayne, one that will help shape the boy's future in becoming The Dark Knight.

First let me say that I'm not a big fan of Batman, I've seen the movies, some of the cartoons and read some of the comic book but I've never been a huge fan. But overall I enjoyed this pilot, it obviously had a ton of "cameo's" of future bad guys, and I got most of them. I think my biggest complaint is that I didn't like any of the characters... they are all corrupt and bad, with exception to Gordon and Bruce Wayne. How can you like a series when 2/3's of the cast are unlikable. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide if I want to continue watching or not. But I have to say the pilot was good enough to get this non-Batman fan to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment