Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Scorpion pilot - My Review

Here's a description of the series... Inspired by a true story, eccentric computer genius Walter O'Brien and his team of brilliant-minded outcasts cannot function normally in society. One day they are recruited by federal agent Cabe Gallo of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security when a serious problem arises. Even though O'Brien and Gallo have history, he and his friends agree to help solve the problem and ultimately become the last line of defense against complex, high-tech threats around the globe.

This team of masterminds is codenamed Scorpion, which includes O'Brien, one of the smartest persons in the world with a 197 IQ and his friends (as Agent Gallo describes them), Sylvester Dodd, a "human calculator" dealing in statistics, Happy Quinn, a "mechanical prodigy" and Toby Curtis, a "world-class shrink" (a Harvard-trained behaviorist). Paige Dineen is a former waitress whose interaction with people translates the real world to them; they, in exchange, translate her young mentally gifted son, Ralph, to her.

Here's the description of the pilot episode... Special agent Cabe Gallo forms a new team of super geniuses, hiring former child prodigy Walter O'Brien to lead a team of his brilliant friends. They are assigned their first mission by the government to help land airplanes at LAX when the entire communication system shuts down due to a bug in an automatic software upgrade at the control tower. They meet a waitress named Paige, a mother of a genius child, with whom they instantly connect.

From the first time I saw the trailer I knew I would enjoy this show.. it was right up my alley. Unfortunately critics are not liking it but then again I never really concerned myself with what critics think.  I enjoyed it so much that I actually watched it two more times back to back. I found the pilot to be fast paced and very tense at times. I enjoyed the characters and since it's the pilot I didn't expect to get deep into their pasts but even with out that info (which I'm sure will come with future episodes) I still cared about them. I liked that they through in a few non-genius so the viewers can relate to these somewhat unusual characters.

There was some very moving moments that tugged on the heartstrings, mostly dealing with young Ralph, and some laugh out loud moments. I didn't care if things seemed impossible or un-real. They had me hook from the very first scene. And I have to say that I've never watched an hour long drama that flew by like this one.

Though the critics are mixed on it the viewers are not and Scorpion did extremely well in the ratings. Let's hope it can hold on to those ratings for future episodes. Speaking of future episodes... I can't wait for episode 2. I think I'll go watch episode 1 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment