Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Would I Be Straight?

I'm often asked if I had a choice "Would I be straight?"

That's a tough question, my first response would be no, of course not... Being gay is no different then being straight... Love is love.

But with that said and If I'm totally honest with myself, I do wish I was straight, from time to time. It would make life just a bit easier for me. Like something as simple as hold my partners hand in public and not have people snickers, stare or name call. Or always being self conscious or aware of my surroundings when I go to give my partner a quick kiss hello/goodbye in public. It would be a comfort to know that if my partner was ever admitted to a hospital that I'd be able to get in to see him when it's "family only". But overall it would be nice to not have to deal with the all hate, prejudice and bigotry for just a little while.

So yes it would be nice to be "straight" for those reasons, but I wouldn't be the person I am today. I probably wouldn't have the friends I have and life would be very different. And I'll admit there are days when I wish my life was different but overall I'm happy with who I am, what I've become and I look forward to seeing where I go in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment