Monday, August 23, 2010

A Healthier Me - Day 8

Took the weekend off from working out and that was such a bad idea. I had the hardest time motivating myself to get back out there.. and another bad thing is I pushed it off until around 8pm. But I did it.. I got out there and struggled with the 30 minutes elliptical machine and almost convinced myself that 15 minutes would be good enough.. but I did the full 30. The cardio seems to be the hardest for me.. the actual weights I don't mind and actually enjoy.. but the elliptical, though good for the joints is boring, I'd rather run/walk outside. Our mailbox is a mile from our house on a very hilly dirt road.. I was thinking instead of doing the elliptical for 30 minutes I'll run/walk to the mail box and back again. That's 2 miles and should give me a really good cardio workout. Anyways.. for today's workout

Since it's Monday I weighted myself and was kind of disappointed.

WEIGHT: 214 (stayed the same)

WORKOUT:

30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical
3 sets of ten on the chest fly for my chest (60 lbs)
3 sets of ten on the curl arm for my biceps (45 lbs)
3 sets of ten on the free weight (90 lbs)

So what did I learn today.. not to push off working out until late at night. And I need to workout over the weekends even if it's just cardio or lifting weights. And I need to double my effects on my eating.. I think that is why I didn't lose any weight.. I'm eating better but still not as good as I should, that will be the toughest part of this whole plan adventure.:(

4 comments:

  1. I've read that diet is more important than exercise for weight loss. You need exercise for good health, and it helps weight loss too, but it takes significant daily calorie deficit to make progress with weight loss. A pound a week is 3500 calories, means you have to either eat 500 calories a day less than usual assuming your weight was previously stable (if your weight was rising, you have to cut even more than that if you want to lose a pound a week), or you have to get to that 500 calories through some combination of extra aerobic activity and reduced food intake. BTW I need to lose weight too, and, well, so far, can't manage it. NOT EASY. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much what tonewaugh said. You will need to keep an eye on your portion sizes. Also remember if you are working with weights, it's possible that as you go along you will build up some muscle mass which is denser and does weigh more than any fat you manage to burn off. On days when you don't go through your workout routine, go out for a half hour brisk walk. Walking is another great way to burn those calories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old fashion way of counting calories is a great way to get control of your eating. Even if you are eating healthy, you may be taking in WAY too many calories. After the first few days, it is easier to keep track. Get one of those little books with all the listings and most food has the calorie count on the label. For a woman to loose weight, it's about 1200 calories a day, not sure for a man. Look it up. That way you know for sure if you are "cheating". Hang in there Kenny! I know you can do it! We'll be watching as you shrink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you all for the support.. changing my eating habits will be the toughest part of this new healthier me.. I knew it would be when I started... I'm going to struggle but in the end I will win.

    ReplyDelete