Friday, May 25, 2012

A Very Geeky Day

Today is a very special day in the Geek/Nerd world. It's the 35th Anniversary of the release of Star Wars which in turn created Geek Pride Day and it's International Towel Day,

35 years ago today I went and saw a movie that would forever change my life. I credit Star Wars (and no I'm not calling it A New Hope, because when I saw it 35 years ago it was called just Star Wars) anyways I credit Star Wars for making me the Sci Fi / Fantasy lover I am today and that series will always hold a very special place in my heart. I loved it when I was a seven year old boy pretending to have a light saber (actually a plastic bat), to a 42 year old man getting a tattoo of R2D2 (favorite character) on my right calf. It will always be part of my life and I am forever thankful to George Lucas for what his gave human kind on that day.

Geek Pride Day is an initiative to promote geek culture, celebrated on May 25th. The date was chosen as to commemorate the release of the first Star Wars film on May 25th 1977, but shares the same date as two other similar fan "holidays": Towel Day, for fans of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy by Douglas Adams, and the Glorious 25 May for fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

I don't mind celebrating Geek Pride but honestly I celebrate Geek Pride everyday of my life.

Towel Day is an annual celebration on the 25th of May, as a tribute to the late author Douglas Adams (1952-2001), who wrote the very famous series The Hitchhikers Guild to the Galaxy. On that day, fans around the universe proudly carry a towel in his honour.

And in honor of Star Wars 35th Anniversary and it being Geek Pride Day my picture for today was one that was take a few months back when I was at Disneyland with Jen, Chris and Robert. So below is my Picture a Day in May #25

No comments:

Post a Comment