Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Do You Act Your Age??

You hear it all the time "Why don't you act your age", and it got me thinking, have I ever acted my age? The answer would have to be no. I was your typical kid, up to age 10 or so and then something changed. Both of my parents worked so I had to take care of my younger brother so in a sense I became a parent. I've always been mature for my age, wise beyond his years they use to say or you're such an old soul. I've always been responsible and never partied or did anything illegal when I was younger. At age 16 I was ready to get married and settle down with a family, of course my life took a different turn and maybe that is why I never really acted like a kid. Being in the closet for so many years and not really being the person I was born to be kept me reserved and shy. I struggled for so many years with my sexuality that when I finally came out at 27 I still had that reserved older then I was attitude. A lot of gay men upon coming out go crazy, I did not. I was still in the mindset of finding that one person and settling down for the rest of my life with them. Of course that never happened and now that I'm 41 I'm not sure if it ever will.

But I have noticed in the past year about the time I turned 40 I've been having a lot more fun, drinking/partying more and trying to be a bit more social. Might have to do with the friends I hang out with now, who are all in the mid 20's to early 30's. They say you are only as old as you feel and there are days that I feel 80 but most of the time I feel like I'm in my 20's

And of course being geek has kept me young at heart. From my collecting of action figures to loving scifi and fantasy TV and movies, It shaped who I am and who I want to be. I will always be a geek until the day I die and I'm extremely happy with that thought.

In the end AGE is just a number, what is more important is how you lived your life. And right now life is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment