Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy 25th Anniversary ST:TNG

25 years ago today Star Trek The Next Generation premiered (September 28, 1987). There were mixed reviews from fans who saw this new Enterprise with no Kick or Spock as a wanna be Star Trek. Who knew that this series would go on to be the fan's number one Star Trek series. 

I am a Star Wars fan, I saw the original Star Wars when I was 7 years old and it molded me into the geek that I am today. I do remember watching the older TOS (The Original Series) on TV and enjoying it but it didn't grab me like Star Wars did. I had heard they were going to relaunch Star Trek and saw the commercials for this new series. But because I wasn't a huge fan of the original Star Trek I missed the first few episodes of this new series. I began watching around episode five or six and all it took was one episode and I was hooked. Unfortunately back in the day we couldn't go to the internet to find missed episodes, so I had to wait months until they repeated the first five over the summer.

I was devouring anything and everything Star Trek. I became an instant fan thanks to TNG. I remember just sitting there and being glued to my TV each week. I had never seen any science fiction program like this before on TV. Every week I got to go on a cool adventure to some far off alien world. I would record these on my VCR and watch the episodes over and over until I wore out the VHS tapes.

TNG actually made me appreciate TOS and the movies even more. I instantly bonded with Picard, Data, Riker, LaForge, Troi, Crusher, Worf, Yar and Wesley.  They became part of my geeky family and I looked forward to seeing them every week.

And though 3 more series followed Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise. Star Trek The Next Generation will always hold a special place in my heart for opening my eyes to this fantastic universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment