Sunday, August 11, 2013

Robert, Millers and Pilgrim

Robert and I were up by 9am and laid in bed chatting, we have some of our best conversations either just before we go to bed or when we are walking up. Will and Becca left my place around 9:30am. Robert was going to hang out with me the entire day.. yay!!!

We got up, showered and I made us some breakfast. We've been watching alot of The Big Bang Theory as it's one of my favorites and Robert hasn't seen many of them.

We headed out to Hollywood for a screening of We're The Millers. This was another of my PGA (Producer's Guild of America) screenings. We were seeing it at the same theater we saw the Pacific Rim screening. The previews to We're the Millers look funny, but I'm not one for stupid/raunchy comedy like The Hangover, but I do like smart/raunchy comedy like Bridesmaids.. so I went into this screening hoping for the best. Side not we actually had the writer of the film watching it with us.. talk about pressure :)

Here's a quick synopsis: A veteran pot dealer creates a fake family as part of his plan to move a huge shipment of weed into the U.S. from Mexico.

Here's my review, I really enjoyed it, it was a fun adventure, there were some cringe worthy moments, some laugh out loud, oh my god they just didn't do that moments. But what I think makes this different from the other typical raunchy comedies is this one had heart. It had a very sweet story mixed in with the comedy. Dad was a drug dealer, Mom was a stripper, daughter a homeless runaway and the son a lonely geek. These were four lonely people just looking for love and the happen to find it in each other. I even teared up towards the end. When it was over I turned to Robert (who loved it as well) and said.. wow I was not expecting this movie to have so much heart.  I would see this again in the theater and will probably buy it when it comes out on blu-ray. One of the best moments was during the credits as they show some very funny bloopers but the final one with the four main characters in the RV and they turn on the radio and in the movie TLC's Waterfalls is played and they sing along, well in this version the theme song from Friends is played unbeknown to Jennifer Aniston and then everyone starts singing it.. the look on Jennifer's face was priceless. You could tell from the bloopers that these guys had a blast making this movie and that made the movie all that much better. I give We're The Millers a nice big B+

After the movie Robert and I went and picked up some lunch/dinner before heading back to my place. Once back at the house Robert helped me figure out how to redeem a LOTRO code that I won on Twitter.  I answered one of their trivia questions and won a new title for my characters "The Wise".  He also helped me picked some new features for my D&D character Dash as he has leveled up. Thanks bud for your help.

We finished our night with Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. I have always wanted to see this movie but never got around to watching it. Since Anthony left his copy here at my place and Robert found out that I had not seen it yet we watched it. Here's a quick synopsis if you have never heard of it: Scott Pilgrim plays in a band which aspires to success. He dates Knives Chau, a high-school girl five years younger, and he hasn't recovered from being dumped by his former girlfriend, now a success with her own band. When Scott falls for Ramona Flowers, he has trouble breaking up with Knives and tries to romance Ramona. As if juggling two women wasn't enough, Ramona comes with baggage: seven ex-lovers, with each of whom Scott must do battle to the death in order to win Ramona.

So I remember the previews and knew I was in for some eye candy. The way this movie is shot is so unique and cool. I loved every minute of it. I loved the characters, the effects were amazing, and the cinematography was just incredible. I do admit that I didn't quite understand what "world" they were living in. And I know the movie is based off of a comic book series. But honestly that would be my only complaint. I wish they would have established where this all took place.. I mean other then Canada. Is it an alternate universe? Robert said that this is better established in the comics.. so I may have to give those a read. but overall that didn't take away my enjoyment of the movie. I give Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World a solid B

After the movie Robert headed home and did my 25 minute elliptical workout. Before finishing my night as usual with a little LOTRO play.

No comments:

Post a Comment