Friday, June 6, 2014

Freaks and Geeks - My Review

Took a break from cleaning the house and editing podcasts to watch some TV. Today I figured I'd watch an episode of Freaks and Geeks, I noticed that it was on Netflix. I remember watching an episode or two back in 1999 and I can't remember why I didn't continue watching it but I didn't. It's funny to see so many "unknown" stars back then who are now household names like James Franco, Seth Rogan and Jason Segel. 

I knew I'd like the show and I was right, after the first episode I was hooked and watched half of season one (which is 18 episodes). I could have continued to watch more but I did have to get some work done around the house. Note... I did finished the last 9 episodes two days later.

If you don't know what Freaks and Geeks is here's a quick synopsis: Freaks and Geeks is a TV series that aired on NBC during the 1999/2000 TV season. It's the 1980s and at McKinley High, there's two different groups of teenagers, the Freaks with cool and charismatic Daniel Desario and tomboy Lindsay Weir and the Geeks with Lindsay's shy younger brother Sam, gentle Bill Haverchuck, and self-proclaimed ladies' man Neal Schweiber. The show chronicles the normal teen/adolescence problems any teenager goes through including acceptance, drugs, drinking, and bullying. Eighteen episodes were completed, but the series was canceled after only twelve had aired.

"One of my favorite scenes from the series"
This series reminded me of my childhood.. I was roughly the same age as the "geeky" younger brother and I had friends just like his. I love all the geek references. Though I did enjoy the first nine episodes I LOVED the final nine episodes. They really found the characters voices and just when it was hitting it's stride it was cancelled.

"Another amazing scene from the series"
I think I was a cross between Sam and Bill, but leaning more towards Bill's personality. Some episodes had me in tears from laughing so hard or from having my heart broken. You'd had episodes that lifted your spirits and made you feel amazing, to hating a character so much that you just wanted to stop watching. Some of the characters were annoying, stupid and cliche and others were sweet, kind and generous. They showed a wide variety of different types of teenagers from high school in the 80's and I knew them all.

Maybe that's why I loved this series so much.. it was my high school, my group of friends and my teachers. All I know is I plan on buying the one and only season on DVD. I've added it to my "must buy when I get a job" list. But for now it's available on Netflix.. so if you haven't seen it be sure to take some time and watch... it's well worth it.. especially if you're a teen of the 80's. I give Freaks and Geeks a solid B+

Looking for pictures online I found this Cast "Reunion" picture from a Vanity Fair article back in Dec. 2012. Some of the kids looks the same others I would never recognize.


No comments:

Post a Comment