Saturday, June 14, 2014

Helping Others

Back in my mid 20's to 30's I did quite a bit of volunteering. I use to volunteer for APLA (AIDS Project Los Angeles), Babies with AIDS and Big Brothers of America. I was with APLA for six years, Babies with AIDS about a year and Big Brothers of America for a year.

Recently I've been thinking about getting back into volunteering. I have a big heart and so much love to share. I think it will be good for me to get back out there and help where I can. I'm leaning towards working with special needs children. Something in my heart tells me this is where I need to be.

I also want to get back into the "Big Brother" program. I only did it for a year back in 2006 and had two "little" brothers. My first "little" moved away six months into the program and my second "little" had such bad anxiety/separation issues that we felt it was best if he was pulled from the program. It was hard on me as I lost two "littles" within a year. When I started the program I figured I'd be with one kid until adulthood (of course that was stupid of me to think that, but I did) so I decided to take a break from the program and unfortunately life got in the way and I never went back. But I think it's time to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment