Sunday, September 28, 2014

Forever Review & Pathfinder Fun

Today I watched the first two episodes of a new ABC series called 'Forever'. Doctor Henry Morgan, New York City's star medical examiner, has a secret. He doesn't just study the dead to solve criminal cases, he does it to solve the mystery that has eluded him for 200 years—the answer to his own inexplicable immortality. This long life has given Henry remarkable observation skills which impresses his new partner Detective Jo Martinez, but piques her curiosity about who he is. Each week, a new case and their budding friendship will reveal layers of Henry's long and colorful past. Only his best friend and confidant, Abe knows Henry's secret.

I figured this was going to be your typical "procedural" cop drama with a geek twist and since I'm not really into procedural shows, though I'm not opposed to them, as I did enjoy the original CSI for many years. I put off watching the pilot and episode 2 (which aired on back to back days) for days. But in the end I figured I'd give it a chance and see if it would be something that I would like. I'm so glad I did. Yes it's a procedural show but the characters are interesting and fun. I'm intrigued by this Doctors storyline and why he is the way he is. I like the relationship between Henry and his confidant Abe and towards the end of the pilot you understand why he's so important to Henry... that part actually made me tear up. I plan to continue to watch this fun, kind of geeky procedural detective show and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

The majority of the day was spent at my bi-monthly D&D/Pathfinder session. We are closing in on the end of this adventure but still have a few more sessions to go. This session was hard, we had to make a deal with the evil Sorcerer that we just defeated in our last sessions battle. I really didn't want to make a deal or trust him but we had no choice. We had to get into the Shadow world so we could follow our friend Arethal, who disappeared for unknown reasons. So we ventured into the Shadow Realm and our first battle was against this Mastiffs. They took some doing but we did manage to kill them and continue our quest. Arethal is on some sort of mission and really doesn't have control over his own actions. We agree to help him complete it. We also find out that Ritha (who we didn't trust to begin with) is actually someone who was part of our group until she betrayed us, Sireen. She requested our help and it looks like will be helping her as well.

We make it back to the place where we fought off the Shadow creates a few sessions back. Not only were there more Shadow creators but there were two very powerful demons and I think everyone in the party took some major damage. Most of it is temporary. But it was a hard fight. At the end of the session we got out of the Shadow Realm and back to the castle only to get word that something has happen to the Queen.

Another fun session, we still have alot of players and with alot of people the side chats tends to happen more often and less focus on the game, which is a bummer but once again Dallas created a fun but somewhat tough adventure this time around. As we level up the foes become harder and harder. We only have one more session before our big LARPing Masquerade finale... can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment