Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Changing Your Lifestyle

Today I watched this documentary called Tiny: A Story About Living Small. Here's a synopsis... What is home? And how do we find it? TINY follows one couple's attempt to build a Tiny House from scratch with no building experience, and profiles other families who have downsized their lives into houses smaller than the average parking space. Through homes stripped down to their essentials, the film raises questions about sustainability, good design, and the changing American Dream.

I came across this documentary on Netflix and it peaked my interested so I gave it a watch. It was an interesting watch. I've never heard of this whole Tiny House movement but I guess it's been around for a while now. I couldn't imagine living in a 100 sq foot house but it did get me thinking about all the stuff I do have. When I moved from my almost 2000 sq ft house into this less then 1000 sq ft apartment I had to down size and I got rid of about 1/3 of my things.
 
So after watching this documentary I started to think about all my "things" and would my life be better if I didn't have them. In some way I think it would. I currently can't just pick up my life and move to another state or country (which I have considered the past few years). Also having all these "things" means I have to have a larger apartment (which of course costs more money) to store everything.

This documentary really made me consider cutting back, selling my collections and trying to scale down all of my "things". But could I do it, could I get rid of a collection that I have been collecting since I was 7 (37 years). I don't know, I've lived this way my entire 44 years on this Earth. As I get older though, I'm beginning to like the idea of not being tied down so much. To move to another state or country for a year is really appealing. But until that time I'm going start small... If it's not displayed and packed away in a closet then there is no reason to keep it. I may even go through my toy collections and only keep the items that really mean something to me, it's going to be tough... but baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment