Sunday, February 8, 2015

Call the Midwife & Rebels - Latest Episodes

After the workout a group of us went out for a late breakfast/early lunch at a local diner. I'm just getting to know these folks so it was nice to get out of the gym and just hang for a few hours.

I watched two shows today that I want to do a quick review on.. first one is Call the Midwife S4 Ep4, After an encounter with a young prostitute who is both pregnant and infected with syphilis, Sister Winifred attempts to spread the message of safe sex among the prostitutes of the neighborhood. Barbara deals with a man who is so desperate to have a son to inherit the family business that he will accept no other outcome for his wife's pregnancy. Sister Monica Joan finds a new sense of purpose when she is unexpectedly forced to assist with a birth. Trixie begins to doubt that she will ever be suited to life as a clergyman's wife, and after learning that Tom's first appointment as a vicar may be in a deprived inner-city area of Newcastle rather than the rural parish she had hoped for, she breaks off their engagement.

I enjoyed this episode, lots of character building especially for Trixie. She is confronted with her "drinking" problem which almost lead to a crisis and her getting cold feet for her upcoming wedding. Her future isn't looking to bright at the moment. I was shocked at that dad who wanted nothing to do with his daughter as he wanted nothing but a son. Luckily he came around but still, it made me sick to think that he'd turn his back on his newborn because of her sex. I really didn't care for Sister Winifred and prostitutes storyline. I mean it was okay but it could have been removed from the story and I'd be okay with that. I did like the Sister Monica Joan story but it felt like a repeat. I feel like every season she is questioning her usefulness but I did like the end result in this one. Next week it looks like Cynthia is back.. I can't wait. I hope we see Chummy again this season as well.

The other show I watched was Star Wars Rebels S1 Ep11 "Call to Action", When the rebels want to broadcast a message to the nearby star systems about their cause, Kanan decides to invade a Communications Tower. They think they have the element of surprise, but they were wrong... Governor Tarkin has come to Lothal and has deduced where they will strike. After Commandant Aresko and Taskmaster Grint are executed by the Inquisitor, Governor Tarkin sends the Inquisitor out to capture Kanan alive to earn back his trust. When the Imperial forces attack the group at the tower, Kanan instructs the team to leave him and thus is captured. The team is able to send a message before Tarkin orders the tower to be destroyed to end their broadcast.

I really enjoyed this episode. I like this series but it still hasn't hooked me like The Clone Wars did. I enjoy the characters and the stories but there is something about it that makes it not quite as awesome and I don't know what it is. This weeks episode was a favorite of mine. It was good to see Tarkin again and it felt like the sakes were alot higher with this episode. I actually thought they might kill off one of the main characters but of course they wouldn't do that with this series. This is the first episode that ended in a cliffhanger. Maybe that's what it is, with The Clone Wars there were very few stand alone episodes, most were two, three and even four episode story arches which of course gave the story time to breath. Maybe that is what Rebels is missing. All I know is weekly Star Wars is awesome.. even at subpar it's better then 90% of the stuff out there in TV land and I will continue to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment