Sunday, March 1, 2015

Breakfast, Goodbyes and Call the Midwife

After the workout a group of us went to a local diner for some much needed breakfast/lunch. What is great being workout at NerdStrong Gym is that everyone is geeky. Our discussions go from Thor being a fraud, Wonder Woman's outfit, the classic American Gladiators and our favorite video games of the past. We also had discussion on what we would do if we had unlimited funds. Lots of fun conversations. I also found out that if you have Visa Signature card you can use their concierge service to find out how much weight a shopping cart can hold when Google fails you.

When I got home my visiting guests, Doug and Kevin were packing up and head out. I didn't get to spend much time with the guys as this new job sprung up so quickly and I don't even know if they were successful in finding an apartment but they did say they would be back in a few weeks, so I guess they were.

I caught up on some Call the Midwife as I had fallen behind a bit because of all the craziness happening at the moment. Tonight I watched Season 4 Episodes 6 & 7. First up is episode 6 - Sister Mary Cynthia befriends a group of gypsies camped on a bombsite, but things become complicated when one of the women goes into labor just as police arrive to evict the travelers from the site. When a diabetic teenage girl finds she is pregnant, she is advised to have a termination due to the potential complications which her diabetes may cause. Rather than lose her baby, she goes on the run with her boyfriend, but without a supply of insulin she becomes dangerously ill and her boyfriend must act quickly to save her life.

I'm a huge fan of Cynthia (well now she's Mary Cynthia) but I've always liked her character so it was nice to see an episode that focused more on her. I enjoyed seeing her at work and getting into the middle of a gypsie battle with the cops. Cynthia always felt to meek and quiet but it's nice to know when she needs to get her way she can. The other character focused on this episode was Nurse Crane, she's a bit stern and set in her way but this episode humanized her a bit. I felt bad when she confessed to the girls that she was going to the square dance and as she's leaving she here's the girls giggle at the thought of her dancing, the look on her face is heartbreaking but she pushes the emotions down and continues to move forward. She's just someone who's been alone for so long that she's just looking to belong, we've all been there. I hope to continue to develop that storyline for her in future episodes. 

I then moved onto episode 7 - Two former school friends give birth at the maternity home on the same day, but in the confusion of a fire evacuation Sister Evangelina accidentally switches the babies. When the mistake is revealed, the two sets of parents have differing views on how the situation should be resolved. An elderly couple who have not been apart since the war must face separation when one is diagnosed with cancer. Fred proposes to shopkeeper Violet, while Patsy must conceal her relationship with nurse Delia.

I saw the switching of the babies coming from a mile away but it didn't take away any of the drama watching it all unfold in front of me. Some great acting from Pam Ferris (who plays Sister Evangelina). She's such a serious person all the time it's nice to see this softer side come up now and then. I love that Sister Julienne and Shelagh Turner stood together with her when they had to confront the parents. I love that they gave Fred a love interest and they moved that storyline along very quickly so that he proposed in this episode. They make such a cute couple. I enjoyed the elderly couple storyline. True love is always nice to see. And finally Patsy and Delia relationship is on the rocks. I couldn't even imagine what these two are going through as being identified as "homosexual" back in the early 60's gets you jail time or worse. I look forward to seeing where this storyline goes.

Again two great episodes, this series continue to entertain and impress. Only have the season finale left and then a Christmas episode at the end of the year. But I am happy to say that this series was picked up for a season five to start airing in 2016... Woot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment