Sunday, August 2, 2015

Movie Day

After a great Indy workout a few of us headed out to brunch at the Hungry Fox. Joining me for this brunch was Shannon, Brett and Lauren. As with all of our after workout brunches it was a great time; tasty food, geeky conversation and good friends.

Back home I decided that I wasn't going to do a thing today. Yesterday's and today workout were killers and all I wanted to do was sit in front of the TV and veg.

I noticed a few new "gay" themed movies available on Netflex so I figured I've give them a go. The first one had five stars and was just added to Netflix. It is called "The Way He Looks" I'm going to do a separate post about this movie as it's now one of my all time favorite coming of age movies and I'm totally in love with it.

After "The Way He Looks" I moved on to another new addition to Netflix called "The Falls", it had four and a half stars. The Falls is a feature film about two missionaries that fall in love while on their mission. RJ travels to a small town in Oregon with Elder Merrill to serve their mission and teach the words of Joseph Smith. Living together and sharing the challenge of leaving home, the two men help each other discover their strengths. They share a passion for their faith and learn to express their feelings, risking the only community they have for a forbidden intimacy.

I really enjoyed this movie, it reminded me of Later Days but this one had a much stronger message at the end. The last fifteen minutes of this movie becomes a somewhat PSA about the Morman Church (and for that matter all churches) on how they teach love and take someone into their fellowship only to discard them like a piece of trash when they admit that they are gay. I like the way that final speech was shot as the main actor is talking to the head of the church but he's looking directly into the camera and really talking to those who are watching. I enjoyed the story, the acting and overall feel of the movie. I'd give The Falls a solid B

The third movie I started to watch as called Gerontophilia, it only had one and half stars but the topic seemed interesting and the main actor was cute. A male youth begins exploring his attraction to much much older men while working in a nursing home.

Now the description on Netflix all it said was that he is a young man and he's attracted to older men. Unlike the description on IMDB which is above, he's attacked to very old men, like in their 70's and 80's. After ten minutes I just couldn't continue to watch. I mean I tried my best because the guy cute.. but I just couldn't do it. Now I'm open to all kinds of relationships but this was just to much for me. And to be honest I'm a bit ashamed for saying that but it's the truth.

So I stopped that movie and moved on to The Seminarian. A closeted gay seminarian's struggle in a troubled relationship leads him to question everything he had known about God and love.

Again this had one and a half stars on Netflix but the topic sounded interesting to I gave it a go. I enjoyed the story and the characters of this movie. The acting was just okay but the direction on this was horrible. I felt like I was watching a really bad student film. Of the many issues the one that annoyed me the most was when two, three or four people are talking the director keep the camera on one person for the entire conversation. So you're watching someone's facial expressions as others in the conversation are talking, this would go on for minutes.. I was yelling at my TV.. okay.. cut to another person.. ok now show us the person talking... I kept telling myself this must be this directors style because he/she can't be that bad.. I mean it's basic movie 101 common sense.

Needless to say I watched the entire hour and a half as I did enjoy the story. I probably won't watch this movie again and I give it a C-

Unfortunately I watched the best movie first and it just kind of went down hill from there. But that's how it goes when watching any movies.. they can't all be hits.. I just happen to get a few more duds then hits this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment