Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Call the Midwife Christmas Special 2015

My friend Lydia gave me her "older" Apple TV box and we hooked it up a few days ago and I noticed that there was a Call the Midwife 2015 Christmas Special that aired Christmas Day in the UK. I have no idea how I missed it but I corrected that today when I sat down to watch it.

As celebrations swing into action, Poplar readies itself for Christmas 1960; a festive bus trip to see the Regent Street lights and a visit from a BBC film crew promise to make it a Christmas to remember. But it’s a difficult time of year for grieving mother Iris; bringing back memories of her long departed baby daughter. An outbreak of measles hits Poplar and at Nonnatus, things are tense as Sister Monica Joan determines to bring the Christmas spirit early, despite Sister Evangelina’s disgust. As the community pull together to prepare for the televised carol concert, Nonnatus is rocked when Sister Monica Joan goes missing and a face from Patsy's past returns.

I love this series, it will now replace my Downton Abbey fix. I've watched and cried with every episode. It's crazy how involved you can get in these fictitious character's lives. I wasn't sure the show would be as good when the main character Jenny who also happens to be the narrator left after season three but I think it's gotten better and better. With Jenny gone they have focused more of the secondary characters and really fleshed some of them out.

This years Christmas special was, as always, fantastic. I actually thought they were going to kill of Sister Monica Joan. Her character really is at an end and there really isn't much more they can do with her so when she went missing I was sure she was dead. And then they found a body and my heart dropped.. thought I figured they would kill her off I didn't actually expect it to happen but moments later you find out that it wasn't her and she is found, sickly but safe.

I enjoyed the story of the mother who lost her daughter many, many years ago and of course you couldn't have a Christmas special without a miracle and the fact that she was pregnant and totally unaware of it was crazy, but I am happy that she get's a second chance at being a mother.

It was great seeing Pasty and her girlfriend Delia reconnect. I'm glad she fully recovered she just now has to grow a backbone and defy her mother's wishes.

I'm really looking forward to series/season five. As I said this is my fix for British drama, especially since Downton Abbey is now over. Of course I'll be watching the UK release of Call the Midwife which starts next month. It starts here in the US on April 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment