Tuesday, December 29, 2015

New Job and The Circle

Last week I met up with a former boss of mine, we only chatted for a minute but the subject came up that I was on my last week at my current job. She said "are you serious? I'm looking for a Post super to start next Monday". Now I will admit that I loved being a post coordinator for the past year, it was decent money and hardly any stress. This job that Darla was talking about was a full Post Supervisor again, which means lots of stress. Honestly I was hoping to do another year as a post coordinator somewhere but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. So I said sure and she said we would talk next week. Well today I got a call to finalize my new job. As I said it is as a Post Production Supervisor (which I have done since 2004) I would start on Monday January 4th and I would be working on the second season of Jay Leno's Garage on CNBC. But that show doesn't go into post until the end of January so she wanted to put me on a yet announced TV show for the time being. It all sounded good, I'll be back at a Original Productions where I worked about five years ago on Biker Build Off, Monster Nation, America's Toughest Jobs and Deadliest Catch S5 & 6. So I know alot of people there so it was going to be like going home. Though I would have liked more time off I am looking forward to starting my next adventure.

I watched this movie called The Circle, I had never heard of it but found it on Netflix and it sounded interesting. This is a Swiss docudrama film, released in 2014. Her's a quick synopsis: Zurich, 1956. The young teacher Ernst Ostertag falls head over heels in love with the transvestite star Robi Rapp and finds himself torn between his bourgeois existence and his commitment to homosexuality. Ernst becomes a member of the gay organization DER KREIS and lives through the high point and the eventual decline of the organization, which in the whole of Europe is seen as the pioneer of gay emancipation.

I liked how this went back and forth between the movie and the original people who the movie were portraying. I couldn't even imagine what it was like to be a gay man in the 1950's. I love that we are there when Ernst find this organization and is just over the moon. I know that feeling as when I came out at age 27 and actually started going to gay clubs and hanging with other gay men you really felt this comradery and an instead feeling of belonging. We got a peek into this world and how gays were treated in the world of the 1950's. Most cities it was illegal to be gay but in Zurich there was no such law and things were okay for the gays.. well for a short amount of time.

Things take a turn for the worst and then the cops start a witchhunt for gay men and the organization starts to unravel. It was difficult to watch what these men had created come tumbling down. What I also liked about this movie is that we find out that the two main characters Ernst and Robi were the first gay couple to have their registered partnership legally recognized in Zurich in 2003.

Watching movies like these make me realized how lucky we are as gay people in 2016, yes the world isn't 100% accepting but we are in a far better place today then we were 60 years ago... heck even 30 years ago. If you get a chance check out The Circle. I give it a solid A.

No comments:

Post a Comment