Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Body Image Issues

When you hear the term "negative body image" it's usually associated with females. And though a large portion of females suffer from this there is a growing number of men who also suffer. I've had negative body image issues my entire life, I am fortunate that it hasn't lead me to be anorexic or bulimic, though there were many times I consider purging the food I just ate or skip meals and go to bed starving because I didn't want to gain any more weight.

Even as a young kid I remember thinking that my body was oddly shaped. I use to be called husky when I was younger and as I grew up the term changed to stocky. I have struggled with my weight and body image my entire life. I've been called fat far to many times then I'd like to remember. A friend use to call me a big ol' teddy bear and I knew they meant it as a compliment, but it would hurt my feelings.. I didn't want to be a teddy bear. In my mind teddy bears are big and round.

When I look in the mirror I don't see my large muscular legs and calves or my broad barrel chest.. I see the fat roll around my stomach, I see my double chin and I see my chest with a little to much boobage. It wasn't until my 40's that I have become comfortable in my own skin. But I still have days when I look in the mirror and see the bad instead of the good. It's a constant struggle to be positive about my body. NerdStrong has helped alot, especially the community and their constant praise.. you actually start believing what they are saying. I know I'll struggle with this for the rest of my life but I know not to let it get me down. I know now that every BODY is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment