Sunday, January 3, 2016

Comfort TV, Tolkien Birthday & Star Wars 4th Viewing

I posted a Random Geeky Question on Facebook and Twitter asking what people's Comfort TV was (ie comfort food). Something that just makes them happy and lifts their spirits when they watch. I got a few responses :)

Mairghread Scott - Foyle's War, BBC. Steve Cain - Mine actually changes depending on how I'm feeling but Eureka is usually pretty high up there. Alex Pham - Will always be firefly. Alynne Schripsema - Pushing Daisies. Roe Moore - King of the Hill, Futurama, Chopped. Tina Zettel - Firefly and eureka! Oh wait! Stargate and dark Angel too! Lol. Nathan Moyer - Deep Space Nine. Meg Downey - US version of The Office, True Detective s1. Matthew Luchsinger - stargate sg1. Nicole Dill - How I met your mother and Spaced. Jason Mills - Firefly. Matt Mitchell - Been watching Nurse Jackie. Has some feel good moments.

Joe Neuburger - Spaced, Black Books, BSG all day long! And of course, Spartacus. Nothing tops blood and boobs! Harry Dauz - DS9. Chris Stock - Not a TV series, but my "nerd comfort food" shall, forever and all time, be the first two Alien movies, "ALIEN" and "ALIENS", as well as the first two Terminators. If I had to pick a TV series... I really liked the Battlestar Galactica mini-series, before the show. That really hit me in my "Wing Commander" zone... OH just remembered: the middle seasons of X-Files, Babylon 5, and the anime Cowboy Bebop. I can't believe I nearly forgot these gems. But I love them nonetheless. Kelly Ireland - WKRP in Cincinnati, also Everybody Loves Raymond. Erlend Aakre - The guild, mash, it's always sunny!  Jami Losurdo - Lost. I love that show the most. Toni Adams - Dawson' Creek.

Leonor Dutcher - Parks and Rec and Downton Abbey of course! Kate Cornell - Futurama. Lindsay Goldner - Kimmy Schmidt. Scarlett Weasley - 3rd Rock From the Sun. Angelique Toschi - Doctor Who, Full House. Doug Luberts - Downton Abbey. I love getting lost in that world. John Higgins - Farscape (although it's been a while since I put it on), Doctor Who (Eccleston and Tennent specifically of the new), Friends... Buffy! How did I forget Buffy? Angelique Toschi - Oh also Eureka. That show just makes me happy. Andrew Avalos - The Walking Dead. Andrew Stirling MacDonald - Chuck, Arrested Development, Firefly, Better Off Ted, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Flight of the Conchords.   

Scott Meisner - The Twilight Zone. Never fails. Jeff Carlisle - Pushing Daisies. Eric DeLoretta - Doctor Whoooooooo and the Golden Girls. Always. Adam Lindén - Parenthood, Gilmore Girls and The Little House on the Prairie. Lorelai K. Perrin - A few. Buffy, HIMYM, Gilmore Girls, Once Upon A Time, Parks and Rec, Kimmy Schmitt, SHIELD, Doctor Who are all sort of my comfort foods of telly. But there's also, Coupling, IT Crowd, X Files, Twilight Zone, Bewitched, Dollhouse, Eureka that have left a very strong mark in me that keeps me coming back watching a few episodes here and there throughout the year.  Tabitha Grace Smith - Doctor Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Due South. Tori Norgren - Sherlock.

Lauren L Dragan Seconding Doctor Who, Buffy, How I met Your Mother, Sherlock, and Kimmy Schmitt. Adding Firefly and Friends. Erin Coplan - Stargate anything. Desiree Snider - ST: Voyager. Pooja Sharma - Midsomer Murders. Matthew Sourwine - Fraiser. Arrested Development...Lesser extent: Seinfeld. Night Court. Melissa Kuhns - Firefly. Jude Gerard Prest - Twilight zone. Kiki Manrique - TNG, Cowboy Bepop! Ray Hill - Galavant!!! And The Awesomes. Emily Warren Rice - Frasier. Thomas Durant - Firefly and dr who. Aaron Pruner - You'll appreciate this answer ... M*A*S*H. Mathew Caron - TNG and Voyager and The Big Bang Theory. Anne Westcott - Supernatural and Friends.

Thank you all who commented.. and this is just Facebook comments there were a few on Twitter as well.

As for me I can agree with alot of your choices, Buffy, Firefly, ST DS9, ST Voyager, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Big Bang Theory, Friends, Pushing Daisies and Sherlock.. but I think the one that never fails to lift my spirits and that I go to when I need some comfort is Star Trek The Next Generation. That series just makes me happy.

Happy Birthday to J.R.R. Tolkien, he was born on this day in 1892. Thank you for creating the fantastical world of Middle earth. Lord of the Rings was my first venture into Fantasy and it's still my favorite of all time.

I thought my screening season was over but I was wrong I got a last minute screener for Something Better To Come, I'm pretty sure it's a foreign film. 

In the evening I went to see Star Wars The Force Awakens for my 4th time. This time I was seeing it in the world famous Grauman's Chinese Theater (now called TCL Chinese Theater). I was going with my visiting roomie Lydia and friends Sandra and her husband Perry. We were seeing it in the main theater in IMAX Laser 3D. First let me say this isn't a true IMAX, it's what I like to call Faux Max. Regardless it's was a large screen. I haven't been in this theater since they did the upgrade with the stadium seating and "IMAX" screen, it's pretty awesome. I knew I had to see it in this theaters as I have seen episodes 1 - 3 in this theaters so I wanted to keep the tradition going. If you haven't read my thoughts on the movie you can go to my 1st viewing post HERE. Needless to say I loved it. Honestly I didn't see a significant difference in this viewing compared to my others. But my other three viewings were in pretty state of the art theaters as well. I had heard that this theater was amazing and the best way to see the film so I went in thinking it was going to be just mind blowing.. and don't get me wrong.. it was an amazing picture and sound but it didn't blow me away. Maybe I didn't notice because I was so invested in the movie.. that is a possibility. Anyways it was a great experience and I'm happy I saw it in the Chinese Theater... where will I see it for my fifth time.. stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment