Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fixing up the House and Pests

Nothing much happen today.. I continued painting the trim on the side of the house. Did the whole on and off again thing, took an hour to tape it all off (my least favorite part), then break, then painted half of it, then break, then painted other half, then break then second coat and touch up and that was it for painting today. Did I mention it was in the high 90's. But again I'm doing it a little at a time. I'm hoping to have all my window trim done by the end of the week. Then there is a trimming of around the roof and finally the main color going all over the house. Oh then I get to do it again on my garage. But slow and steady wins the race or in my case, newly painted house and garage I'll have.

Living rural I tend to get pests in the house, mostly rats, mice and ants. Luckily I haven't had many rats or mice in a good year or so but I feel like ants are getting worse. Today I got up and there had to be a hundred of them in my kitchen pantry. They ran down the wall across my dining room floor and into my guest bathroom. I quickly grabbed the raid only find out that it was empty (I tend to use it alot). I then grabbed my keys and drove to my local supermarket and purchased a can of way over priced raid. I got home and for the next ten minutes sprayed every inch of my pantry across my hardwood floor in the dining room and into my bathroom. Lucky for me none of the ants got into any of my food, not sure what they were going for... I hate ants, especially as it gets hotter as they tend to move inside the house more.

Speaking of nuisance I have prairie dogs/gophers/ground squirrels (not sure exactly what they are) but they are digging up my yard and between them and the rabbits they're creating so many holes in the ground. The worse part is they are starting to damage my trees and plants. I've spread small animal repellent dirt around the yard but that's not really working. I guess I can go with poison but then with my luck they will all die under my house and it will smell for weeks.... Ugh!!!

I love living out here in the middle of nowhere but I really can't wait to get this place fixed up, on the market and sold!!!

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you want to put this place in the market? Too bad, it looks nice. There should be a way to get rid of those pests permanently. If not, the next owner would probably experience the same problem and give up this place like you did. Jeffrey @ BugManiacs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s been a year now, and I believe that house had already been sold. I do hope you were able to eradicate the pests before the house was put on the market. Pests could really be a pain in the butt, but you have to be patient in dealing with them. Using natural methods for prevention could be great, but it’s advisable to use proper chemicals to remove a colony of them, especially if you need it done ASAP.

    Mindy Dawson @ Cooper Pest Solutions

    ReplyDelete