Thursday, October 10, 2013

Gravity - My Review

So I left the My Gimpy Life shoot at 5pm and had to be Universal Citywalk by 6pm to meet up with some friends. I got to our meeting location around 6:15 and was joined by Doug and Jes. Robert and Cait were running late so the three of us decided on a place to eat. We headed over to Tony Roma's as they have great food (but expensive) but we don't eat it that often. By the time we sat down and got our drinks Robert and Cait joined us. It was a nice dinner and by the time we were done our friend Dallas joined us.

After dinner we headed over to the theater to watch Gravity in IMAX 3D. And this was a true IMAX theater as there are only a few in the Los Angeles area. One great thing about this IMAX theater is that you can purchase assigned seating so there is no waiting in line to get a decent seat. We arrived at the theater around 8pm, as our movie was to start at 8:15pm. We made our way to our seats, which was middle, middle of the theater. Robert, Cait, Dallas and Myself sat together then we had two strangers sitting next to us and then Jes and Doug (who purchased there tickets a few days later then I did).

If you've been living under a rock and have no idea what Gravity is.. here is a brief synopsis: Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness.

I've seen a few clips from this movie and heard some rave reviews but I really didn't know much about it, which I was very happy about.

My Review: The movie starts with this beautiful 16 minute continuous shot, it's pretty breath taking. About 10 minutes in the disaster strikes and all hell brakes loose. The story is a simple one.. survival. The acting is incredible, I mean I'm a huge Sandra Bullock fan and she really shined in this movie. But the real star of this film is the cinematography, which is truly amazing. This movie runs one hour and 31 minutes and there isn't a single moment to stop and take a breath.

Before I saw this movie I heard some folks say how can they do 90 minutes of someone floating in space but they pull it off.. not only do they pull it off but they go above and beyond. This movie feels like it just flies by.

I spent the first 20 minutes of this film with my hand over my mouth, I was just in awe. I didn't realized until the credits start to role how tense my body was. Soon as those credits started to roll I would feel this release of energy and I could breath again. This was one of the most intense and I mean constantly intense movies that I have ever seen.

This was truly a movie going experience and I'm so glad I got to see it in true IMAX 3D.  I give Gravity a solid A and I hope to see it win or at least be nominated for some Academy Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment