Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Looking, Rebels & Call the Midwife

First thing I did after my job this morning shave, not only my beard but my head. I didn't go completely bald but left a very short stubble. I just felt like I needed a change and that's one great thing about beards is that when you shave them off it really does give you a completely different look. Now I don't know if I'm going to keep the beard off, but for now I'll enjoy the look.

Watched some TV today, I started with HBO's Looking S2 Ep2, "Looking for Results" After reminiscing over their childhood obsessions, Patrick and Kevin decide to develop a gay game app on the side, but Patrick soon descends into a panic spiral when he discovers a small rash. Dom scopes out a location in the Tenderloin for a peri peri chicken take-out window; Doris is chatted up by a cute political aide; and Agustin makes plans to meet up with Eddie, the "bear" he met at Russian River, but gets sidetracked by an old co-worker.

I wasn't a fan of last weeks episode and again I have to say there is something that I'm just not liking about this season so far. I feel as though they have fallen into the "gay" stereotype stories and I don't like it. I mean season one had some storylines but I felt the stories were everyday life in San Fransisco. Now it feels forced and it making me not like the characters. This happen with Queer as Folk (the US version). I watched the first few seasons and then it got way over the top and so unrealistic that I lost interest. Hopefully things will change with future episodes.

Then I watched Star Wars Rebels S1 Ep10 "Idiot's Array" The wrong gamble with a new acquaintance forces the crew into transporting some unusual cargo.

I enjoyed this episode, they introduced a younger Lando Calrissian who is just as much of a con artist as he was in Empire. I keep comparing this series to Clone Wars and I really need to stop doing that. I enjoy Rebels, but not as much as Clone Wars, at least not at this moment. I mean they are only 10 episodes in but it's still fun to watch new Star Wars on TV every week (or when there is a new episode).

And then I watched the return of Call the Midwife S4 Ep1. Whilst Sister Evangelina has health problems she grudgingly comes to admire Barbara Gilbert, replacement for Cynthia, for her tireless work with a new mother. Tom proposes to Trixie whilst the other nurses are concerned for the Teemans, a family of young children living in squalor, whose mother appears to have abandoned them and who are being raised by ten-year old Gary. When Gary is arrested for shop-lifting the nurses swing into action.

I can't tell you how much I love this series. This is the first season without the main character Jenny, though this isn't the first episode as we had gotten the Christmas special last year. But it works, they are focusing on the other nurses and giving them more screen time. The story with the young boy Gary just tugged at my heartstrings. I felt so bad for him as he was doing the best he could with what life had given him. We learn a bit more of Trixie's backstory and we are introduced to a new nurse. I do hope that we see Cynthia again (as she's off becoming a Nun) and then Chummy left at the beginning of this episode and I don't know if she'll be returning anytime soon. If you're not watching this then you're missing out on a really good series (btw the first three seasons are on Netflix). 

No comments:

Post a Comment