Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Kingsman: The Secret Service - My Review

Tonight I went to a screening on the Fox Lot with my buddy Robert to see Kingsman: The Secret Service. Here's a brief synopsis: Based upon the acclaimed comic book, Kingsman: The Secret Service tells the story of a super-secret spy organization that recruits an unrefined but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

From the first trailer I wanted to see this movie. It looked like a lot of action and fun. Then I started to hear that it was extremely violent and bloody. That surprised me as you couldn't tell that from the previews but it didn't deter me from wanting to see it.

It was everything I expected, fun, action packed and yes it was a bit graphic at times but I'd call it more hyper stylized violence, it's so over the top. I loved the throw back feel to a classic spy/bond type movie.

I'm a huge fan of Colin Firth so of course I enjoyed his performance, and I also liked the new guy (Taron Egerton) I don't think I've seen him in anything else, but I have heard rumors that he might play Han Solo in one of the solo Star Wars movies. Samuel L. Jackson was fantastic as the "bad" guy who couldn't stand the sight of blood. And another newcomer (at least to me) Sofia Boutella played the kickass assistant/lover to Samuel's character. She had this two blades for the bottom portion of her legs and could kick butt. 

The fight scenes were extremely well choreographed. I enjoyed the story and how it all played out. The cinematography was well done and the editing was fast paced and entertaining. Even the explosive ending which was kind of cheesy but still worked well within the context of the movie. 

Overall it was as I expected (with a bit more graphic violence) and I loved it. I'll definitely be buying this when it comes out on blu-ray. I give Kingsman: The Secret Service a solid A -

No comments:

Post a Comment