Monday, May 4, 2015

Star Wars Day, Calum Scott & A Friend Visits


Today is Star Wars Day.. So to all my amazing Star Wars loving friends "May the 4th Be With You"

Of course it seemed appropriate that LucasFilms would release some new Star Wars The Force Awakens pictures. Vanity Fair has an entire Star Wars spread from famous photographer Annie Leibovitz, there is also video of some behind the scenes from this photo shoot. You can see some of the photos and read the article HERE and watch the video below.

Yesterday I downloaded yet another "social media" app called Periscope. Here's is their story... Just over a year ago, we became fascinated by the idea of discovering the world through someone else’s eyes. What if you could see through the eyes of a protester in Ukraine? Or watch the sunrise from a hot air balloon in Cappadocia? It may sound crazy, but we wanted to build the closest thing to teleportation. While there are many ways to discover events and places, we realized there is no better way to experience a place right now than through live video. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but live video can take you someplace and show you around.

And that is what Periscope is, You can "broadcast" right from your phone and folks who are following you can watch live, they can also chat instantly with you.. it's pretty cool. I don't know if I'll use it alot but it might be fun to share SDCC and other events with my friends. Only downside is it does use up a ton of your data plan (for those of us who don't have unlimited). So I'd only use it if I was able to be on wifi.

During my lunch I watched a few You Tube videos.. one of my favorite things to watch is Britain's Got Talent and the other incarnations of that show. Today I watched a video of a guy who was on the show last month, his name is Calum Scott. The story goes, he and his sister both were trying out for Britain's Got Talent. His sister Jade went on before him and though she had an interesting voice Simon did not like it and she did not make it through. So now this is where the video picks up, it's time for Calum to sing. You can tell he's nervous and upset about his sister but he starts to sing.. and OMG I'm just blown away.

 

His voice is just incredible. It's different in a good way, kind of raspy and soothing. And I wasn't the only one who loved him.. the audience gave him a standing ovation as well as the four judges. And the best part was when everyone sat down and got quiet Simon reached over and pressed the Golden button, which means Calum goes straight to the semi-finals... this is huge.

I think another thing that endeared me to Calum, besides him being extremely cute and adorable, is he seems extremely humble and an amazing brother. You get a "nice guy" vibe off him and sometimes it nice to see nice guys finish first for once. 

So I did a bit more online research and found out that Calum Scott did an actual music video for the same song he sung on the BGT almost a year prior, Robin's "Dancing On My Own". I had never heard this song before.. of course after watching this I went and listen to the original and it's good but Calum's version is so much better.. I really like the words to this song.


He is also in a tribute band for Maroon 5, called appropriately enough Maroon 4 and covers several of their songs.. and in the comments of his videos alot of people say he sounds like Adam Levine, which makes sense for the tribute band. Anyways.. can't wait to see how far this guy goes, hopefully he makes it to the end or at least gets a record deal out of this. Can't wait to hear more from Calum Scott.

During the evening I headed to LAX to pick up my buddy Matt who is visiting from England. This is his very first time in the US. I'm honored that he choose to visit me. His plane was delayed an hour but I was able to find out where he'd be exiting and was there smiling when he came down the escalator.  We got home around 11:30pm and we chatted for a half hour before I had to call it a night as I have to be up at 6am for NerdStrong. I look forward to showing Matt around Los Angeles in the coming week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment