Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Other "F" Word

So I came across this video where 30 gay men gave a one word response to the word "Faggot". Of course I'm talking about the North American interpretation of this word, the derogatory word used to label gay men. I have always disliked (even hated) this word. I obviously don't like it when I'm called it or any fellow gay man but I dislike it just as much when a fellow gay man will playfully say it to refer to another gay man.

I know there are some out there who say we should embrace the word and take it back for ourselves, to not give this word so much power but I think there is just to much negativity surrounding it. It's a word that is meant to hurt gay men and for me it will always be that way.

I remember an incident with a friend, when they used it in a conversation with me and my jaw dropped. They weren't being mean or vulgar, to them it was just a word.  They couldn't understand why I was offended by it. I tried to explain it but I don't think I really got through to them but I do hope that they won't say that "F" word in front of me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment