Monday, August 31, 2015

Volunteering

I'm about to turn 45 years old and my life has become pretty stagnant. I mean I have a job (until November), I have a nice apartment, I'm working out and getting healthy, my family is doing well and I have some amazing friends.. with the exception of not having a partner to share my life with things are going pretty good at the moment. But there is a part of me that's going unfulfilled and I finally figured out what it was... volunteering.

All through my 20's and early 30's I volunteered, APLA (AIDS Project Los Angeles), Babies with AIDS, Big Brothers of America and various soup kitchens. Giving back to the community and helping those in need has always been a huge part of my life but somewhere along the way life got busy and I let that part of me fall to the waist side.

Over the past 15 years I've tried get back into it but I've always had an excuse, and that's the problem.. they are just excuses and they have to stop. There is no better feeling then giving back and helping those who need it. We all can spare a few hours a week of our lives to help others. So that is what I'm going to do.

Now I just have to figure out where I want to volunteer, do I want to volunteer with the elderly, maybe a hospice, the idea of being there to comfort someone during their final days is kind of nice. Or do I want to volunteer with children, I have done that in the past and I loved it. I love kids and kids always seem to love me. Maybe I can volunteer with young adults, especially gay teen or do I volunteer with the disabled. I've always wanted to volunteer with the Special Olympics.  Lot's of options to choose from as so much help is needed. Time to do some research and see which path my heart takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment