Monday, February 1, 2016

SDCC Badge, Star Trek Concert & Galavant S2 Finale

So I got to work early so I could sign in to the San Diego Comic Con website and enter the waiting room. Today Professionals could get their badge. If you were lucky enough you could also get a "free" badge for a guest and buy an additional badge for full price (now $250). 10am came and the blue wheel of death started to spin. Five minutes pass and nothing, ten minutes pass and nothing.. now I'm starting to worry. If my track record held I'd only get my pass and not a free guest pass. Now fifteen minutes has passed and I'm still sitting in the waiting room watching the blue wheel spin. About minute 18 the page changed and I was able to sign in and see what was left and to my surprise I was able to not only get my free badge but also a free guest badge and I was able to purchase a badge.. so in the end I got the max amount of three. Maybe my luck is changing with these things.. next up is Hotel Lottery.. fingers crossed.

Picked up my ticket for Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage: 50th Anniversary Concert Tour. What is this you ask... Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage brings 50 years of Star Trek to concert halls for the first time ever. This lavish production includes an impressive live symphony orchestra and international special solo instruments. Also iconic Star Trek film and TV footage is simultaneously beamed in high definition to a 40-foot wide screen. The concert will feature some of the greatest music written for the franchise including favorites from Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and much more.

I'll being going to the Hollywood Pantages Theatre on April 2nd at 8pm with my buddy Adam and enjoying this one of a kind experience. I couldn't imagine going with a better person as Adam is just as much a Star Trek fan as I am. We're going to have an amazing time!! Seats are still available if you want to join in the fun.

In the evening I watched the last two episodes of Galavant. First up was S2 Ep 9 "Battle of the Three Armies" The armies of Valencia, Hortensia, and Galavant's zombie army clash, right on top of Chef and Gwynne's hovel. Gareth, angry at Madelena's use of the dark arts, defects and makes peace with Richard. Galavant and Isabella reunite on the battlefield and plan to marry if they survive. Wormwood uses his magic to turn the zombies against everyone. The heroes retreat into the castle. Madelena tries to persuade Gareth to leave with her. When he refuses, she releases the undead army.

First of all I love the title which is a nod to The Hobbit. As always I enjoyed the songs, it was funny to see Chef and Gwynne living in a shack right in the middle of where the three armies were to merge. Lots of fighting in this episode. I like that Gareth turned to the good side and rekindled his friendship with Richard. 

Then the final episode S2 Ep 10 "The One True King (To Unite Them All)" Richard reflects on his unhappy childhood. Sid returns with an army of minor characters from season two, turning the tide of the battle. Isabella and Madelena fight face to face, with Isabella victorious. Richard faces Wormwood who seems to kill the lizard Richard believes is a dragon. Enraged, Richard strikes down Wormwood. Richard's magical sword reveals him to be the true king of the Seven Realms. Gareth tries to make up with Madelena, but she has tasted the ultimate power and wants more; she magically vanishes. Richard catches up with Roberta before she leaves. Galavant and Isabella marry in a ceremony performed by the Singing Monks (led by "Weird Al" Yankovic) and settle down by the sea. Chef and Gwynne rebuild their house. Gareth invites Sid on a quest to bring back Madelena. Madelena arrives at a spooky castle to meet with the Dark Evil Lord. Richard, who has settled down with Roberta, feeds his former lizard who has grown into a real dragon.

The final episode starts with a flashback for Richard as a kid with Gareth being his right hand then as well.. it was cute. Then the story continues right were episode nine left off, as the bigger battle continues small one on one battles happen between the main characters. Isabella and Madelena fight was fun and then you had Richard and Wormwood, Richard really comes into his own after he thinks that Wormwood killed his "dragon" Tad Cooper. Madelena is pure evil and like the way the ended her character. I like that Richard goes to Roberta and confesses his love for her. It was great seeing Galavant and Isabella marry. And a new duo is formed with Gareth and Sid start their quest to get Madelena back.  And of course the finale scene is probably my favorite. Richard going out to feed Tad Cooper and sure enough Tad Cooper is actually a dragon and Richard says he final line.. "I have a Dragon".

I didn't think it was possible but season two exceeded season one. Better stories and song, though my favorite song/tune is the Galavant song in it's many incarnations. I hope their is a season three.. it didn't do to well in the ratings but season one didn't do that well either and ABC renewed it for a second season. So who knows.. but if this is the end I'm extremely happy with it. Tied a bow with the main characters and left a few strings hanging that they can follow in season three.

No comments:

Post a Comment