Thursday, March 24, 2016

Introvert or Extrovert

I've always considered myself an introvert, but recently I found out that shyness is not a trait of being introverted and that's how I determined what I was.

The term extrovert tends to be manifested in outgoing, talkative, energetic behavior, whereas introvert is manifested in more reserved and solitary behavior. But a big factor is how you replenish your energy. Introverts like to recharge by being alone while extroverts get their recharge by being with others.

Introverts prefer solitary to social activities, but do not necessarily fear social encounters like shy people do. So with this statement I'd be a shy extrovert, if that's even possible. But more accurately I'm a combination of both.. and sure enough there is a word for that.. ambivert. An ambivert is moderately comfortable with groups and social interaction, but also relishes time alone, away from a crowd. That's describes me perfectly. It's strange thinking yourself one way for over 40 years but come to find out that you really aren't that after all... you're just shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment