Wednesday, October 2, 2013

IT Finale, S.H.I.E.L.D Ep 2 & Best Man Down Review

Forgot to blog about this a few days ago so I figured I'd throw it in today's blog. A couple of days ago they aired the final episode of The IT Crowd. The IT Crowd is a British sitcom set in the London offices of the fictional Reynholm Industries, the show revolves around the three staff members of its IT department: a geeky genius named Maurice Moss, the workshy Roy Trenneman, and Jen Barber, the department head/Relationship Manager, who knows nothing about IT.

The series ran from 2006 to 2010 (4 seasons/series containing 6 episodes each). It ended back in 2010 and we thought that was going to be it. Well a few months back we got word that after a 3 year absence they were going to do a special "final" episode and it finally airing on September 27th in the UK. I of course not being in the UK had to find "other" means of locating the special as they have not announced if it's going to ever air here in the US.

I acquired it a few days ago and couldn't wait to watch it. I've seen it twice now and I really enjoyed it. It was funny, sweet and had lots of nods to previous episodes (the internet) and even some familiar faces like Richmond. I didn't even mind the "boss" in this episode.. normally he's the weakest part of the story in my opinion. It was great seeing these guys again after a 3 year hiatus and they are still as awkward and crazy funny as ever.

I'm glad they had the oppurtunity to officially "finish" the show and finish it well. Moss turning off the light at the very end was very poignant and a fitting end to this series.

I also watched the second episode of Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. This has to be one of my most anticipated series along with Once Upon a Time. I loved the first episode and I couldn't wait for the second and I have to say they did not disappoint. Lot's of character building (the team is still trying to figure out how they all fit together). Lot's of action, which is always great and a lot of what I like to call "Joss" humor.

I really enjoy Coulson as a character and Simmons and Fits (still don't know if they are more like brother/sister or husband/wife relationship, but I'm leaning more towards brother and sister. But there is one character that I'm really enjoying and can't wait to hear more of her back story and that's Ming Na's character Melinda May. She is a major bad ass and we really don't know much about her, all we know is she is a hard core agent who asked to be taken out of the field for some reason which I'm sure will find out one day. She really reminds me of Black Widow who I really enjoyed in the movie.

As I'm doing this blog a few days later then the actual day of the blog I have already seen the ratings for the second episode and I have so say I'm disappointed. I mean the premiere episode did okay ratings but the second one dropped something like 20% which isn't good. I have heard people complain about the series but I really don't have a clue what they are complaining about. I love it and I hope it does better or at least holds up in the ratings so we can get a full season and hopefully many more afterwards.

During the evening instead of TV night with my best bud Robert we went out to dinner at Islands and then to a PGA pre-screening of a Justin Long's new movie called Best Man Down. Quick synopsis, A newlywed couple cancels their honeymoon and returns to the snowy Midwest to make the funeral arrangements for their best man, who died unexpectedly after their ceremony. What they find out is that they didn't really know who their friend was.

I have liked Justin Long ever since he did Galaxy Quest so when I read the description of this movie I thought it was going to be a light comedy. Well it was really a Dramady. There were some funny moments but it really was more of a drama. As you learn about this "best man" and the life he was leading you slowly put the piece of the puzzle together until the very end were it's all laid out for you and you get that... oh that's why he did this.. or now I understand why he did that. This movie had alot of sweet moments mixed in with some very tense and emotional moments. I only cried at the end when the mom said a line about her son (the one who died). That she was afraid that he would never find someone to love and that in return would never be loved.. Oh that just broke my heart and the tears started to flow.

It's not a crazy action packed movie, it's a nice simple story about love, compassion and surviving life. I give Best Man Down a nice solid B+

No comments:

Post a Comment