Tuesday, October 1, 2013

TV Reviews: Mom, Brooklyn Nine-Nine & We Are Men

Today I watched some more new TV series and I am going to give you my thoughts on them. First up was Mom, From hit-maker Chuck Lorre comes his next big comedy‐an irreverent and outrageous take on true family love‐and dysfunction. Newly sober single mom Christy struggles to raise two children in a world full of temptations and pitfalls. Testing her sobriety is her formerly estranged mother, now back in Christy's life and eager to share passive-aggressive insights into her daughter's many mistakes.

The reason I actually even wanted to watch this series was because of Allison Janney, who I loved from The West Wing. But it also stars Anna Faris who I find very funny. I've seen two episodes so far and it's funny, it's not "must see" funny but I laughed out loud several times during the show. It's not a role I could ever imagine Allison doing as I'm use to seeing her in the more serious drama roles but she is funny. If times gets restricted this series would probably fall to the waste side but for now I'll continue to watch and laugh at Mom.

Another new comedy that I watched is called Brooklyn Nine-Nine, this series is an ensemble comedy about what happens when a talented, but carefree, detective and his diverse group of colleagues get a new captain with a lot to prove.

It stars Adam Samberg who is hilarious in Saturday Night Live. I missed the pilot as I wasn't really that interested in this but I do watch Dads and this series airs after and my DVR captured a few minutes of the first episode and it caught my attention so I recorded the next episode and just watched it. It's funny but like with most comedies this TV season, it's not a "must see" TV for me. I'll continue to watch but if I need to drop any TV this year this would go first.

I also watched We Are Men, this series is about four single guys living in a short-term apartment complex who unexpectedly find camaraderie over their many missteps in love. Carter, the youngest and most recent addition to the group, moved in after being ditched at the altar mid-ceremony, and is now eager to re-enter the dating scene and get on with his life with some guidance from his "band of brothers": Frank Russo, a successful middle-aged clothing manufacturer and four-time divorcée who still fancies himself a ladies man; Gil Bartis, a small business owner who was caught having the world's worst affair; and Stuart Weber, a speedo-wearing OB/GYN who's hiding his assets until his second divorce is settled. Armed with a hot tub, pool-side barbeque and plenty of questionable advice, these losers in the marriage department take Carter under their wing to impart their own brand of wisdom about the opposite sex.

I wanted to watch this one because it stars Jerry O'Connell but I have to say I wasn't impressed with the pilot. I liked all the male bonding and all the bros stuff but I didn't think it was funny. As with most new series I'll give them three or four episodes before I decide to drop it or not.. but as of right now the jury is still out on We Are Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment