Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Refrigerators, Siri and Getting Hit By A Car

Start my day with driving around to various stores checking out prices for a new refrigerator. I checked fridges out at Fry's, Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy. I had forgotten how expensive refrigerators can be. Prices for a 14 to 16 cubic feet fridge range from $400 to $600. What makes this worse is that I have a large fridge that cost me over $1500 that is working perfectly fine but because I can't get it up to the apartment means I can't use it and must get rid of it.

I didn't purchase a fridge today as I had gotten several texts from friends who either have extra fridges or are thinking of swapping with me. So I'm currently on hold when it comes to buying a fridge.

While I was at Fry's I saw this automatic key making machine. I had never seen anything like this but it's crazy cool and fast. All you do is slip your key in the slot and the machine does the rest. And for $1.99 you have a brand new key. I got two sets made of my apartment keys, one for Lydia (my international roommate) and the other for my buddy Robert (just in case I die in my apartment).

After my refrigerator search I headed back home and continued my unpacking.

Just a side note.. I never knew you could change Siri's voice from female to male. So I changed mine to male. I also heard you can add an accent.. will have to look into that.

After my skype chat with Erik, I went for a walk to pick up some dinner. It's one thing I really love about living in this new apartment, that I'm able to walk to pretty much anywhere. While I was heading back home and about a block away I was hit by a car. What happen is I was crossing a street and I saw the VW bug coming down the street in the opposite direction. I got about 2/3's of the way into the street when all of sudden this guy decides to turn right... directly in front of me. He didn't slow down or anything. I looked directly into his face as he was about to hit me head on but he swerved and kind of fish tailed a little bit and the back end of his car smack into me knocking me to the ground.

It all happen so fast you really don't have time to think about anything. All I remember is that I was lying on the asphalt and thinking to myself.. I was just hit by a car. Of course the guy didn't stop and just continued down the road. I got to my feet and got out of the middle of the road before checking to see if I had any broken bones or scrapes of anything like that. I'm happy to report that there was nothing... I was lucky. If he would have hit me head on I don't think I would still be here as he was moving pretty fast when he took the corner. I'm lucky that he actually saw me at the last minute and swerved to avoid me and only got nicked by the back end of his car.

No comments:

Post a Comment