Wednesday, May 27, 2015

J.K. Rowling Fighting Hate, Piggy-Sue & Traveling to Mordor

I've been a fan of J.K. Rowling for obvious reason... she wrote one of my all time favorite book series but she's an amazing human being as well. She generous with her time and fortune, helping multiple causes and she is also a big LGBT supporter.

Here is an example of her continued support. This was the headline of the article. "J.K. Rowling Blasts Westboro Baptist Church In Epic Tweet Over Ireland Marriage" You can check out the entire story HERE but in short the Westboro Baptist Church tweeted some hate filled speech at Mrs. Rowling about Dumbledore (who she has said is gay) marrying Gandalf (who, as far I know, is not) in Ireland where it is now legal. She of course wasn't going to take this lying down and responded to their hate tweet with "Alas, the sheer awesomeness of such a union in such a place would blow your tiny bigoted minds out of your thick sloping skulls."

She did get a little flack from fans saying that she should just ignore the hate (as most people do) but she responded with this tweet "I don't care about WBC. I think it's important that scared gay kids who aren't out yet see hate speech challenged." Again this is just one of many reason why I admire and appreciate this lady.... Thanks Jo for your continued support.

I came across this commercial for a cell phone company in New Zealand and it's pretty amazing... it even made me tear up. It's called Piggy Sue


I'm a huge Middle Earth fan as you may know if you read my blog or know me at all so when I found this picture I just had to share it.


It's actually the distance Sam and Frodo traveled from the Shire to Mordor to destroy the ring. First it's shown on a Middle Earth map but then they have the same distance displayed on a United States map as well as a Europe map. It's interesting to see the 1350 miles traveled, kind of puts things in perspective. In the US, the same 1,350-mile journey would take you from Los Angeles to Austin, Texas. In Europe, the 440-hours of walking could get you from London to Nis in Serbia. I thought this was interesting. It also made me realized that Western Europe is tiny compared to the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment