Saturday, June 20, 2015

Inside Out - My Thoughts

I got to see a PGA (Producer's Guild of America) screening of Inside Out with my friends Robert and Cait at the Writers Guild. If you don't know what Inside Out is.. here's a brief synopsis: Riley is a happy, hockey-loving 11-year-old Midwestern girl, but her world turns upside-down when she and her parents move to San Francisco. Riley's emotions -- led by Joy -- try to guide her through this difficult, life-changing event. However, the stress of the move brings Sadness to the forefront. When Joy and Sadness are inadvertently swept into the far reaches of Riley's mind, the only emotions left in Headquarters are Anger, Fear and Disgust.

Going into this movie I expected to love it as I have loved 99.9% of the Pixar/Disney movies so the bar was set pretty high for this one and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I knew after the first five minutes that this movie was going to be a winner, like with Up, Inside Out had this amazing beginning that sets up the entire movie.  

The animation is pretty spectacular as the (emotion) characters edges aren't sharp lines but their clothes are. The writing is funny and heartwarming. I love that it's kind of an educational film, teaching kids about various emotions and how it's okay to feel sad or mad or happy at times. It may not be scientifically accurate on how the mind works but still it's a blast to watch. 

Many scenes had me on the verge of tears, with a few that pushed me over the edge. When Riley's imaginary friend Bing Bong sacrifices himself to save Joy I just lost it.. I loved the dynamic of Joy and Sadness, and the realization that sometimes it's good to allow Sadness to be in control. It was fun seeing into the minds of the parents and also at the end when they went into the mind various other people and animals. I love the idea of the personality islands and it made me thing what islands do I have in my brain. 

I can't praise this movie enough.. I loved every minute of it. It's definitely one of Pixar's best. I look forward to seeing it again and buying it when it comes out on blu-ray. I give Inside Out a solid A. 


No comments:

Post a Comment