Thursday, July 2, 2015

NerdStrong Gym - Back Squats & Back Pain

Today is Strength day at NerdStrong Gym. We started with a good warm up and then went into the workout. On the board today are Back Squats. The first fifteen minutes or so we reviewed the skill. We then had to do a 7 / 5 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 10+. I teamed up with my usual barbell buddy Derek. We started fairly light and I got to about the fourth set and 105 lbs before I felt that familiar pain in my lower back. A few weeks ago I compressed my spine while jumping rope and it seems I aggravated it again. It wasn't horrible but I did feel a twinge of pain so I stopped immediately and just helped my partner finish up his set.

I did move on to the "Accessory" workout which consisted of 3 rounds of 7 reps of Dumbbell Curls, Leg Lifts and Weighted Hip Extensions. The dumbbell curls weren't a problem, I actually enjoy doing this as I feel it really works my biceps. I was a bit timid with the leg lifts but I did my first few and my back was fine so I continued doing them. The weighted hip extensions was an interesting workout. Again I hesitated at first but after doing a few I realized that this workout didn't aggravate my back so I finished off the workout.

So the workout was good, but my back wasn't so good. I think I'm going to cancel my open gym tomorrow and there isn't any gym on Saturday so I'll get to rest up a few days before the big Sunday workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment