Friday, May 22, 2015

Disney's TomorrowLand - My Thoughts

So I'm scheduled to see a PGA screening of TomorrowLand tomorrow with Jes and Dallas but today my buddy Robert texted me and asked if I wanted to see it tonight. He and his girlfriend Cait had planned to see it but it was looking like she would have to work late and he didn't want the tickets to go to waste. I said sure as it looked like movie that I would like and wouldn't mind seeing twice in two days.

We grabbed some dinner before heading to Sherman Oaks Acrlight. It was in 2D playing in the ATMOS theater (which is my favorite).

For those who don't have a clue what TomorrowLand is other then a "section" at Disneyland, here is a quick synopsis: Whenever Casey Newton touches a lapel pin with the letter T on it, she finds herself transported to Tomorrowland, a city filled with huge robots and sleek buildings. The gifted young woman recruits the help of scientist Frank Walker, a previous visitor to Tomorrowland, who years ago made a startling discovery about the future. Together, the two adventurers travel to the metropolis to uncover its mysterious secrets, as the fate of mankind hangs in the balance.

First let me say that there is a third main character in this movie (Athena) that is kind of crucial to the story and she's ignored in the synopsis and the trailer and I have no idea why. TomorrowLand has been getting lots of negative press, after only a week at the box office its being called a "flop", though it made 33 million in it's opening weekend and was the number one movie. I honestly don't understand all the hate being flung at this film, but then again I usual don't understand all the hate being flung at any movie. 

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. I enjoyed the story, the characters, the special effects, and the overall look of the film. It was funny and had alot of heart, it even brought me to tears at the end. The acting was great and I really liked the chemistry between the main characters. The young boy they got to play the young George Clooney character was perfect. And I especially liked the young girl who played Athena. I hadn't seen her in anything before but she's really good and just so darn adorable.

The message behind the film is an important one and I feel they conveyed it in an entertaining way. It may have been a bit heavy handed at times but not enough that it bother me. From other reviews that I have read this is where alot of people tend to jump on the hate wagon.

And let's be honest, Tomorrowland will not be for everyone. In fact, in a world dominated by cynicism and haters, the number of people that might actually enjoy this movie is small and that makes me sad. Sad because it proves that the most meaningful part of the movie's core message in that we as humanity are embracing negativity and blindly trudging along through the worst of circumstances without doing anything to change things for the better is true.

In my eyes TomorrowLand was a huge success, extremely entertaining and fun, I'm so happy that I get to see it again tomorrow night. I give Disney's TomorrowLand a solid B+

No comments:

Post a Comment