Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road - My Thoughts

First let me say that I had no intention to see this movie. I'm not a huge Mad Max fan but I have seen and somewhat enjoyed the first three movies. But with that said I got an invite to see a free screening from the PGA (Producer's Guild of America). How could I say no to a free movie and I had been hearing alot of praise from friends. So it peaked my interest. I invited my best bud Robert to join me and we headed out after work.

If you've never heard of Mad Max here is a quick synopsis for Mad Max: Fury Road. Years after the collapse of civilization, the tyrannical Immortan Joe enslaves apocalypse survivors inside the desert fortress the Citadel. When the warrior Imperator Furiosa leads the despot's five wives in a daring escape, she forges an alliance with Max Rockatansky, a loner and former captive. Fortified in the massive, armored truck the War Rig, they try to outrun the ruthless warlord's henchmen in a high-speed, deadly chase through the Wasteland.

From the first minute to the very end I don't think I took a proper breath. I haven't felt like that since I saw Gravity. Of course the script was very light ( I mean they had maybe 6 pages of dialogue for the entire film) but that didn't matter.. this film was all about the action, the cinematography and the things that didn't need to be spoken out loud. Tom Hardy plays Mad Max and has top billing but the film's real star is Charlize Theron who played the bad ass Furiosa. It's really her story and Max is just along for the ride.

It's a high intensity thrill ride from beginning to end. The chase scenes were mind blowing. The cinematography was AMAZING!!! I think that's probably my favorite aspect of this film. I especially like the night scenes. The colors and look of the film was beautiful. There is this particular scene when Furiosa and company are driving through these "marsh like" area at night and there are these people on on stilts, very reminiscent of Dark Crystal's "Landstriders". Those few frames of film were incredibly beautiful, very magical and made we feel as thought I was watching a fantasy movie. I would love to have a framed picture of that scene.

One chase scene would end and the audience around me would all take a collective breath, some would give a nervous giggle and everyone was looking to the person they came with, with a look of oh my god... that as awesome.

And though this movie had very little dialogue the entire story was there and well crafted.

I enjoyed seeing Nicholas Hoult as Nux, it took me a while to figure out who the actor was as I knew he looked so familiar. I loved the "granny" clan and was sad to see most of them sacrifice themselves to save Max, Furiosa and the Wives.

When it was over I couldn't believe that I almost missed this move on the big screen. I can't say a single bad thing about it. It's one totally fun roller coaster, heart pounding, no breathing kind of ride. One I'd be happy to get on again. I give Mad Max: Fury Road a solid A

No comments:

Post a Comment