Wednesday, May 13, 2015

NerdStrong Gym - It's All About The Core

It's CON day and that means coach Blair. Today's workout was themed "Power Man And Iron Fist".

We did a quick warm up which wasn't horrible and then got into the main workout.

It was broken down into two parts. Half the class did Iron Fist while the other half did Power Man. I started with Iron Fist and coach Christy was helping out with that section. For this workout we had to run 2 laps around the parking lot (about 500 meters) and then come back and do pull ups. Again this week we are not working on the amount we can do but the proper form.

So if we couldn't do pull ups then we could to do ring rows. I did my first 2 laps with ease. Came back and did 1 pull up (which I knew would be my max). When I finished the pull up I opted to drop down and do ring rows. So I did another 2 laps and came back and did 10 ring rows before going out and running again. I did this about five times before the 20 minutes was up. I have to say that I did a great job at pacing myself with my running. It wasn't until the very last lap that I felt winded but that could have been because I had :30 seconds to finish to I kind sprinted to the end.

I then moved on to Power Man section of the workout. Coach Blair was in charge of this section. Here we had to to TABATA's for Planking, Bicycles and Banana Holds. TABATA means 8 rounds of :20 seconds of work and :10 seconds of rest.

We started with planking (I opted for a low plank to work my core more) this was easy the first six times but the seventh and eighth, I don't know how I got through them. We then took a much needed break before doing 8 rounds of bicycles, this is when you're on your back and you bring your opposite knee and elbow together as quickly as possible. These were the death of me. After the fourth set I struggled with every set after. This really works the core and my core was not happy. After another much needed break we did the final workout which was banana holds. This is exactly what it sounds like. You lie on your back and lift your feet about six inches off the ground while also lifting your head and shoulders off the ground.. in essences you're in the shape of a banana. These really work your core and as I mention my core was not happy and I struggled to complete all 8 rounds.

It was a great workout, though not as crazy as some past CON workouts. Thanks to coach Blair and coach Christy for your constant encouragement and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment