Thursday, June 11, 2015

Jurassic World - My Thoughts

In the evening I was fortunate enough to go to a PGA (Producer's Guild of America) screening of Jurassic World. I was able to being a plus one so of course I brought my best bud Robert. The screening was happening at the Writers Guild theater, which is my least favorite of the Guild theaters but it's free so I can't really complain. And in fact I think they refurbished the place since I was there last as it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Anyways.. if you've been living under a stone and have no idea what Jurassic World is here's a quick synopsis: Located off the coast of Costa Rica, the Jurassic World luxury resort provides a habitat for an array of genetically engineered dinosaurs, including the vicious and intelligent Indominus rex. When the massive creature escapes, it sets off a chain reaction that causes the other dinos to run amok. Now, it's up to a former military man and animal expert to use his special skills to save two young brothers and the rest of the tourists from an all-out, prehistoric assault.

From the previews alone I knew that I'd probably love this movie and I was right. This movie felt very much like the original Jurassic Park (which I loved) but bigger. The special effects were amazing, the dinosaurs looked great. I enjoyed the simple story and the acting was good. There were alot and I mean alot of nods to the original movie. From what I heard about the movie I was expecting alot more deaths but if there were alot more deaths (which I'm sure there were) we didn't get to actually see many of them. One particular death stands out and if you've seen the movie you know which one I'm talking about... the female assistant. These Pterodactyl played with her dropping from Pterodactyl to Pterodactyl before she finally drops into the tank with that giant sea dinosaur but even then you think that thing is going to get her but no the Pterodactyls dive in and grab her to play around a bit more before finally the giant sea dinosaur jumps out of the water and swallows the assistant and the Pterodactyl holding her.. it was pretty horrific. 

But overall I really enjoyed this movie. If you liked the first one then you'll like the this one. I look forward to seeing it again and even purchasing it when it comes out on blu-ray. I give Jurassic World a solid B+

No comments:

Post a Comment