Friday, June 12, 2015

Matt's B-day, Twitter Surprise & The Passing of a Legend

So today I opted out of going to Open Gym at NerdStrong. My body was telling me to take a rest and this time I listened to it.

I do have a few things I'd like to blog about.. first it's my buddy Matt's birthday today. Matt is my mate from England who visited recently. He's just a youngling in his early 20's but he is one of the sweetest guys I know and deserves all the happiness he can find. I've said this in the past but he's like a little brother to me and I so appreciate his friendship. Happy Birthday Matt..

I got a surprise today.. author Daniel Errico, who wrote my new favorite "gay themed" fairytale called The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived followed me back on Twitter... woot, woot!! Maybe he'll read my blog about his book. You can check out my original blog post about this amazing book HERE

Yesterday I heard the sad news that Christopher Lee had passed away. Though it wasn't unexpected as he was in his 90's it was never the less sad. He was truly an amazing actor and human being. I've seen alot of people posting things about Mr. Lee and his life but Peter Jackson had the best ulogy (IMO) and I'd like to share it with you all. I especially like the final line.

Sir Christopher Lee

It is with tremendous sadness that I learnt of the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. He was 93 years old, had not been in his usual good health for some time, but his spirit remained, as always, indomitable.

Christopher spoke seven languages; he was in every sense, a man of the world; well versed in art, politics, literature, history and science. He was scholar, a singer, an extraordinary raconteur and of course, a marvelous actor. One of my favourite things to do whenever I came to London would be to visit with Christopher and Gitte where he would regale me for hours with stories about his extraordinary life. I loved to listen to them and he loved to tell them - they were made all the more compelling because they were true - stories from his time with the SAS, through the Second World War, to the Hammer Horror years and later, his work with Tim Burton - of which he was enormously proud.

I was lucky enough to work with Chris on five films all told and it never ceased to be a thrill to see him on set. I remember him saying on my 40th Birthday (he was 80 at the time), “You’re half the man I am”.  Being half the man Christopher Lee is, is more than I could ever hope for. He was a true gentleman, in an era that no longer values gentleman.

I grew up loving Christopher Lee movies. For most of my life I was enthralled by the great iconic roles he not only created - but continued to own decades later. But somewhere along the way Christopher Lee suddenly, and magically, dissolved away and he became my friend, Chris.  And I loved Chris even more.

There will never be another Christopher Lee. He has a unique place in the history of cinema and in the hearts of millions of fans around the world.

The world will be a lesser place without him in it.

My deepest sympathies to Gitte and to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Chris.

An icon of cinema has passed into legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment