Sunday, September 27, 2015

Xena Marathon Continues with Thomas

This morning I dropped off my buddy Erik at the airport before heading into NerdStrong for the Willow workout.

After the workout my friend Thomas came over (he's currently staying at a hotel but will be staying with me starting tomorrow). Anyways we are continuing our Xena marathon. Thomas is a HUGE fan of Xena and I've never seen it so whenever we get together we try and do a day of Xena watching. Since we see each other only a few times a year it's gonna take a while to get through the entire series but I'm cool with that as there isn't a better person I'd want to watch this series with.

Today's marathon started with S2 Ep 17 "The Execution" When Meleager, the hero who once saved Gabrielle's village, is condemned for murder, Gabrielle and Xena have only one turn of the sand dial to produce evidence that he is innocent.

I'm not going to go into great detail as there are quite a few episodes to review but I'll give you my quick thoughts. I enjoyed this episode, it was nice to see Meleager again though I have to admit I did like how quickly Xena and Gabrielle turned on each other. But overall a good episode. 

S2 Ep 18 "Blind Faith" When a young punk sells Gabrielle into a royal trap, Xena must force the punk to assist in Gabrielle's rescue while gradually going blind.

I enjoyed this episode, it was interesting to see Xena rely on her other sense as well as rely on the help of the kid who tried to kill her in the beginning. It was also hilarious watching Gabrielle try and be all Queen like. This goes to show you how much Xena cares for Gabrielle as she was willing to give up her sight to save her.

S2 Ep 19 "Ulysses" Xena and Gabrielle help Ulysses, King of Ithaca, to face all the forces of Poseidon, God of the Sea, so he can go back to home after the Trojan War. During the journey, Xena and Ulysses start falling in love.

I enjoyed this episode but I must admit that I'm tired of watching her fall in love with another well known figure from mythology. Though I am a huge fan of Ulysses and his story so it was fun to watch that.

S2 Ep 20  "The Price" Xena's arrival brings hope to a beleaguered Athenian outpost under siege by "The Horde." Meanwhile, Gabrielle's desire to care for the wounded clashes with Xena's ruthless arrangements.

We get to see the darker side of Xena in this episode and once again her and Gabrielle clash. I really enjoyed this episode.

S2 Ep 21 "Lost Mariner" After a shipwreck, Gabrielle is rescued by the cursed ship of Cecrops, where she will have to stay until she dies -- unless Xena can break the curse.

This was an interesting episode as I really had no idea how they were going to get out of this situation. It was nice to see Poseidon again though he's really not a nice guy. I liked how they broke the curse and it was a happy ending.

S2 Ep 22  "A Comedy Of Eros" The baby of Cupid & Psyche, on the loose with Daddy's love-causing bow, complicates Xena's attempt to stop Draco from attacking a temple of Hestian virgins.

Not a favorite of mine as I found all cupid arrows flying around making everyone fall in love with everyone a bit ridiculous. It was funny at times but after a batch of really good dramatic episodes this was felt a bit off. The one bright note in this episode is the return of Joxer.. he's one of my favorite characters and we find out that he is in love with Gabrielle (without getting his by Cupid's arrow).

S3 Ep 1 "The Furies" Ares convinces the Furies to inflict madness on Xena because she has not avenged the death of her father. Xena heads off to find the culprit, only to discover it was her mother, Cyrene. With the help of Gabrielle and a tale from Cyrene about Xena's conception, Xena is able to persuade The Furies that Ares is her father.

This was an interesting episode and we really got to see Lucy Lawless' acting chops. We find out that Ares is Xena's father (or is he).. they kind of leave it open ended but I think it makes a lot of sense since these two character seem to interact alot. And my dislike for Ares grows.. he's definitely not a favorite of mine. 

S3 Ep 2  "Been There, Done That" Cupid causes a town to relive the same day over and over until a hero can help the two star-crossed lovers from feuding families. Xena is the only person who knows the day is resetting and must work alone to save the day and break the curse.

This was the Xena Groundhog Day episode and it was pretty good. Funny but with serious under tones. It was great to see Joxer return again, still one of my favorite characters, he's such a dork and that I that one of the biggest reasons I adore him.

And the final episode of the marathon is S3 Ep 3 "The Dirty Half Dozen" Xena seeks the help of a group of Greece's best convicts against Agathon. Ares has given Agathon the Metal of Hephaestus to forge his new superior weapons and it is up to Xena and the others to stop Agathon.

This was a good episode to finish on, lots of who is good and who is bad. It was nice to see some of the "bad" people get redemption at the end. Again it was Ares being a douche bag.. man I hate that guy.

It was a long but awesome day of Xena watching.. Thanks Thomas for watching along and taking a day our of your visit to the U.S. to do nothing but Xena watch. I can't wait for our next marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment