Saturday, May 2, 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron - My Review

So here is my review of Avengers: Age of Ultron (and yes their will be spoilers).  First let me say I LOVED IT... Was it better then the first Avengers movie. I honestly can't answer that until I see it again and again.. so much happened that I feel I missed parts.

This movie starts off with a bang, we find ourselves in the middle of a fight, no explination as to how the Avengers got back together, we are to assumed they were summoned and showed up. Lots of great banter in the beginning. Loved the on going joke about Captain America and language. They are a well oiled machine, everyone knowing their part. We then are introduced to "The Twins" and we find out that not everyone loves The Avengers.

I'd have to say my only complaint was some of the CG in this opening battle looked pretty bad. There were only a few shots but they were pretty jarring. I did enjoy Cap flipping his motorcycle over his head and tossing it at the on coming bad guys. And of course the "beauty shot" that's been shown in all the trailers, where all the Avengers are moving in slow motion getting ready for battle. I think that it would have had more of an impact if I hadn't see it so many times. I do wish they would have left that out of the trailers.

I liked that the "main characters" (who have their own movie series ie, Thor, Cap and Ironman) took more of a backseat and let some of the smaller characters shine, especially Hawkeye. We also had three new characters to introduce. Of course the Twins Wanda and Pietro aka Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. We get a quick explanation as to why they hate the Avengers, especially Tony Stark. But I like that we see them starting to question what they are doing and finally switch sides and fight along side the Avengers. And something that I've been waiting to see... Paul Bethany (who voices JARVIS) becoming Vision. Though he was only in the last third of the movie I can see this character becoming a fan favorite.

I loved all the cameos we got from other Marvel movies including War Machine, Falcon, Peggy Carter, Heimdall & Erik Selvig. We even got a bit of Nick Fury and Maria Hill in this movie.

Other then the opening sequence I thought the SFX were amazing, so many action packed scenes, but they knew when to slow down and give us some amazing character moments. And speaking of character moments, the reveal that Hawkeye had a family with a wife and kids was brilliant. Of course Natasha already knew this but to everyone else, including the audience it was a shocker.

The way they were setting Hawkeye up with a family I was sure he was going to try and rescue that young boy that he would end up sacrificing himself to save the kid but in typical Whedon fashion there was a twist and Quicksilver sacrificed himself to save both Hawkeye and the kid. That was a shocker. And then I kept thinking.. oh he's not dead, he heals quickly or they would somehow save him.. but nope he died.

I liked how they introduced the "New" Avenger's team and the set up for Infinity Wars. I enjoyed Ultron as the "bad" guy. I love the fact that he was created by two of the Avengers (though for a good purpose) and to be totally honest he really isn't a bad guy, he is trying to solve a problem (the human race) and went to the extreme. I mean there are times when I feel the same way about he human race.

There really wasn't much I didn't like about this movie.. other then the few bad CG shots at the beginning. This was just one huge and fun roller coaster ride. One I hope to ride again very soon. I give Avengers: Age of Ultron a solid A

No comments:

Post a Comment