Sunday, July 26, 2015

Syfy's New Series Killjoys - My Thoughts

Killjoys is a new series that premiered on Syfy a few months back. I have been recording them on my Tivo along with other new science fiction shows Dark Matter and Humans. I had seven episodes recorded so far. I really didn't know anything about this series when I stared watching it. I had never seen any previews or commercials but friends online have been praising it so I figured I'd give it a watch.

Here's a quick synopsis of the series. Killjoys follows a trio of hard-living but fun-loving bounty hunters – Dutch, John, and D'avin– taking on interplanetary missions, chasing and capturing deadly criminals throughout a distant system named the Quad. They have sworn amongst themselves to remain neutral during a bloody, multi-planetary class war that threatens to destroy the Quad.

Ten minutes into the first episode and I was hooked. I wanted to know more about these people and this amazing universe. It really did feel like these people and their situation could be dropped right in middle of the Firefly verse. I think that's one reason why I took to it so quickly. Of course the writing isn't as Whedon-like but still some very good lines.

I actually watched six of the seven episodes back to back to back, I even considered staying up pass my bedtime to watch the seventh. But I'm sure I'll be watching as soon as I can tomorrow. One thing I really enjoyed about this series is that we are getting little bits of backstory along the way while the storylines moved forward. It was never dull there is a ton of action and some really good character development.

I really like the three main actors Hannah John-Kamen who plays Dutch, she's the leader and can kick some major ass. She also has a very dark past that we are learning more and more about with every episode. Aaron Ashmore plays John Jaqobis, he is the only actor I actual know but I know more about his twin brother Shawn Ashmore who was in the X-Men movies. His character is still a bit of a mystery. We haven't learned a great deal about him yet... and then there is Luke Macfarlane who plays D'avin Jaqobis, I know nothing about this actor but we are learning alot about his character and his past.. things are still unfolding but man is it going to be interesting.

I can't say enough great things about this series. I'm bummed that it's only 10 episodes and there is no word if it's going to be picked up for a season season or not. One thing that is going for this series is it's a co-produced with Canada's Space channel, so even though it's not getting stellar ratings, they  might be good enough for Syfy... fingers crossed.

If they keep making them I'll keep watching them... I give Killjoys a huge thumbs up from me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment