Saturday, April 11, 2015

Watching Xena - My Reviews

Thomas and I continue our watch of Xena. This is my first time viewing.  Tonight we watch three episodes - S2 Ep12 "Destiny", S2 Ep 13 "The Quest" & S2 Ep 14 "A Necessary Evil".

First was part one of a 2 parter S2 Ep 12 "Destiny" Xena is seriously hurt in Cirra's ruins by a huge log and she enters into a coma. While Gabrielle carries her to a doctor in order to try to save her life, she remembers how ten winters ago she met Julius Caesar and became the Destroyer of Nations.

I enjoyed this episode, I'm a big fan of Karl Urban so it was cool seeing him play Julius Caesar. This story showed the birth of "evil Xena" it was interesting to see where she learned her now famous death poke. The direction and cinematography were a bit weird in this episode. I'm sure it was a certain look and style they were going for but I didn't like it. That's really my only critique about this episode.. the story was pretty good.

Next was part two of the 2 parter S2 Ep 13 "The Quest" Gabrielle's attempt to take Xena's body to be buried with her brother are complicated by would-be thieves, Amazon dynasty squabbles, and Xena's attempts to communicate through Autolycus.

I actually enjoyed this episode more then part one. It was great to see Autolyus again and the Amazonians, I did find it odd that the Amazonians loyalty flip flopped so easily. Team Gabrielle vs Team Velasca. I'm not sure I understand why when Xena ate the Ambrosia she didn't become a god, I guess it could only do one thing and bringing to back to life was it. I know Xena has a big lesbian following but this is the first episode that I felt they really played to the following with the relationship between Xena and Gabrielle by having them kiss (though technically it was Autolycus Gabrielle was kissing). Overall an enjoyable storyline.

We then watched S2 Ep 14 "A Necessary Evil" Gabrielle, Ephiny, The Amazons and a revived Xena discover that Velasca survived her presumed death and has eaten Ambrosia, making her a Goddess. Fuelled by vengeance and anger, she attempts to kill Gabrielle, forcing Xena to team up with her sworn enemy.

I guess you can say this is part three as it continue the storyline from the previous two-parter. We see the return of Velasca who had a bit of Ambrosia and is now a god. And of course my favorite part of this episode was the return of Callisto. Though I was a bit confused at how she ended up with that scar and trapped in the pit.. also she's now immortal. Thomas explained that she appeared in an episode of Hercules and that progressed her story to where she is now. But other then that it was great seeing her again. She is crazier then every.. but there is a bit of sadness in her. Of course at the end she also becomes a god and falls into the lava with Velasca so I'm sure will be seeing them again in the near future.

Overall I think I enjoyed A Necessary Evil the most out of the three tonight and that was due to Callisto

2 comments: